• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I'm done with Virgil's The Aeneid so I think I'm going to start on George Orwell's 1984. I've just learned about this book recently and I've heard some very good things. If you care to read with me, let me know =)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: 1984

Unread post

Really? You've just heard about it recently? I read it as a teenager...it was terrifying.

I watched the movie about a year ago, as well, and it keeps pretty close to the book. Other than specific names and details of that nature, I should be able to discuss the major themes and such of this book with you. :)
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

Same as bleachededen, read it in high school. This one is very hit or miss with most of my friends. I hope you enjoy it!
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I did every paper I ever had to write in high school and college English classes on the comparison of 1984 and Brave New World--a long time ago. Orwell wrote it in 1949. Very depressing book.

Apple used it as a theme when they introduced the McIntosh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_%28te ... mercial%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

I don't know for sure that the above video works. A big storm is coming and I am going to lose my DSL. So it is submit or die...
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Veneer wrote:I did every paper I ever had to write in high school and college English classes on the comparison of 1984 and Brave New World
I would really like to read one of these papers Vaneer, or at least your thoughts and how you compared/contrasted these two books. Maybe we should read both?

1984 is a classic, need to read before you die, more than once type of book. It's like expresso, powerful stuff in a little container. It will take me a while to find my copy, but I'm in.
President Camacho wrote:I've just learned about this book recently
What? Maybe you heard about it but the title turned you off, if the title was 1484 it probably would have gotten your attention. :lol:
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Suzanne, they were basically the same paper, hmmmm! Imagine a student using the same paper over and over. The dates were 1967, 1968, & 1969. I don't believe that I possess the paper any longer. I got a B on it in every class. I haven't read either book since high school, but I believe that there were some Cliff notes that heavily persuaded my thinking. I am a far better writer today then I was then, and I suck now so go figure.

1984 was a far darker book than Brave New World. The huge theme was totalitarian mind control. Brave New World was more of a technological paradise/hell. Henry Ford figured big in the book. I can't remember much about either book, but if don't like rats...you're gonna hate 1984.
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Wow, this is the most impact my current reading selection has ever had. This must be a pretty good book! I'm glad it chose me.

Suzanne, you're right - I'm more into the earlier stuff. After this I'm reading the Epic of Gilgamesh! =) Can't get much earlier than that ;)

I'll share my thoughts on each chapter if I have any and am looking forward to hearing everyone's take on the book. :)

Cheers!
bookwormservice
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

1984 is one of my favorite books. Tons better than Brave New World IMHO. 1984 is captivating from start to finish & shocking through out the whole book.

I think Ayn Rand's Anthem is a good comparison to 1984.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:Wow, this is the most impact my current reading selection has ever had. This must be a pretty good book! I'm glad it chose me.

Suzanne, you're right - I'm more into the earlier stuff. After this I'm reading the Epic of Gilgamesh! =) Can't get much earlier than that ;)

I'll share my thoughts on each chapter if I have any and am looking forward to hearing everyone's take on the book. :)

Cheers!
When I had my bat-mitzvah back in 1990-whatever, my haftarah portion (story from one of the prophets or whatnot as a companion to the Torah reading for the week) was about Noah and the flood, and I wrote my mandatory bat-mitzvah speech/sermon on the similarities between the flood story in the Epic of Gilgamesh and the flood in the Noah story! You'll have to let me know what you think of Gilgamesh. I read it in junior high and high school as well as for writing that speech, and I found it to be quite interesting.

I told you your taste isn't as "fringe" as you like to think. ;)
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

Please add me to the list of people reading/re-reading 1984. I too read it in high school but many years later it was the base book for my second semester English Comp course.

It is a grabber from the first few pages but I remember being unhappy with the ending. I felt it kind of fizzled out. Of course that was pre-POMO so maybe Orwell was just ahead of my time. Orwell missed by about 20 years but big brother has his red light cameras and his email snoopers up and running now.

This should be fun.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost

Return to “What are you currently reading?”