• In total there are 37 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Greetings from Asbury Park!!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
JerseySure
Official Newbie!

Greetings from Asbury Park!!

Unread post

Well, not really Asbury Park but I figured this is a rare chance to give a nod to a great album..:)

Actually I'm from Northern NJ, just outside NYC. I'm a 47 year old male who is so excited to see so many other people who read. Most people I talk to on a daily basis think reading means checking the lottery results.

I found this spot by typing 'on line book club' into Google. Then I checked it out and it seemed friendly enough.

I joined for 2 reasons. One, I love to read but I hate to read lousy books. It is such an investment to read 400 pages- and I hate that sinking feeling at about page 250 when you realize 'wow, this book isn't going anywhere.' But now I'm too far from the start and still far from the end..."Ahh I might as well finish it" So I am looking for suggestions about good books.

I also like to discuss/debate what I read. So I look forward to positive interaction and discourse....

Thank you for allowing me aboard..:)
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Re: Greetings from Asbury Park!!

Unread post

Hey there, definitely check out the discussions going on about books we are currently reading. I am reading along with the non fiction pick right now, although not commenting enough....but I do nod at the posts I agree with or learn something from :)

Welcome
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello and welcome JerseySure. I am from NJ myself, but I am closer to the Jersey shore, of "Jersey Shore" fame. I live in the southern end of the state. I agree with you about "lousy" books. I try to avoid them at all costs, but sometimes they just hit you. I hope you enjoy yourself here at BookTalk.
NY152
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org JerseySure! I hope you find this an exciting site as I know the rest of us do. If you need help in any area of trying to find good books to read, then you came to right spot. Just to let you know I am a librarian and I know a lot of books out there that are great to read, and some that you better just stay away from. Tell me what kind of books you do like to read, and I'll see what I can do. Looking forward into discussing books with you!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org! :)

We love to debate here too so you'll fit right in.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

We seem to have a good Jersey contingent here already, and now you. Welcome. Me, I hail from CT originally but have been transplanted to VA for going on 30 years.
NY152
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

I was born in Manassas Virginia and lived in Leesburg for 6 years.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

NY152 wrote:I was born in Manassas Virginia and lived in Leesburg for 6 years.
Well, how about that. I was born and grew up in central NJ (yes, there is such a thing as central NJ). I now live in Virginia (23 years this month). I have worked in Leesburg for the past 9 years and I spent a few years working for the library system here in Loudoun County.
JerseySure
Official Newbie!

Greetings from Asbury Park!! Part II

Unread post

I know the sequels are usually lousy but here is my one question-

First off, thank you all for the positive reception

But I thought the site would work like this...One person would pick a book that we would all read, then we would discuss it...

So, um, who 'assigns' the book??

Thanks
Joe
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Greetings from Asbury Park!! Part II

Unread post

Hey Joe:

No books are assigned here, we are democratic in our book selection process. Books are selected by a nomination and poll process. The current discussions will conclude by the end of October, so in a few weeks or so you will start to see the selections recommended by members in the book selections and poll forums. There is one for non fictions books and one for fiction books. There is a post requirement of 25 to be eligible to nominate a book for consideration and to vote. This requirement is to ensure that those nominating books and voting will also participate in the discussion. The polls will ususally have three or four of the books that have received the most positive response from members, then, members vote and a winning book emerges.

There are also additional book discussions that can be created at any time. Many members will comment on the books they are reading and this will generate a discussion. If you look through the forums you will see a forum for additional non fiction selections, as well as many genres of fiction. So if you want to discuss a particular book, just give a shout out and some members may join you.

I hope this answers your question.

Return to “Everything Else”