• In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

EMP and Solar Flares in the News-Right out of THE GREAT COLLAPSE

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
jhorton
Creative Writing Student

EMP and Solar Flares in the News-Right out of THE GREAT COLLAPSE

Unread post

I came across some interesting videos in regards to the dangers of EMP and Solar Flares to our power grid and electronics in general. Parts of it sound like they came right out of my novel, THE GREAT COLLAPSE. You can find the videos on the blog page of my website at www.hortonlibrary.com, or at my fan page in Facebook, at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeff-Hort ... 3282663837. Check it out!

THE GREAT COLLAPSE is now available from the publisher at http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... 1663-844-3 and will be in book stores November 9th.
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

Re: EMP and Solar Flares in the News-Right out of THE GREAT COLLAPSE

Unread post

After I learned about nuclear EMP attacks, I got really paranoid and eventually after a few years bought a lot of survival gear and a book "When All Hell Breaks Loose" after Obama took office.

A massive Solar Flare would also be devastating to the entire civilized planet.
jhorton
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Its scary! Just imagine what would happen if the entire power grid in the United States suddenly failed. In my novel, the entire world is impacted when an EMP and solar flare get trapped in the earth's magnetic field. You might want to check out the videos, I had never seen them until recently.

Have you read the 2008 EMP Commission Report?
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

Unread post

No I haven read it. But I do know that besides all power grids being destroyed, almost all electronic devices (phones, ATM machines, modern cars, computers, TVs, gas stations, hospital equipment, refrigerators, water plants, planes, etc.) would have their electronics fried making them dead and useless all over the U.S. and parts of Mexico and Canada.

We would be back in the 1800's technology wise. If the U.S. was hit by a high altitude nuclear explosion above the middle of our country, there will be riots and death. Other countries would have to ship over replacement parts, but we would be pretty much finished as a civilization, and would probably be invaded by foreign countries. Luckily much of our military has EMP proofed our weapons and secure communications for Washington to interact with our military. But at first it would be to declare Marshall Law. Planes will fall out of the sky, people on life support or in the middle of complex operations would die, and millions would be starving for food. Gangs would roam the streets murdering people for whatever food they had. (Deliberately set) fires would burn out of control and spread destroying many houses and buildings.

Um, but I'm being optimistic. :shock:

A massive solar flare could effect most of the world.
jhorton
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

You should read The Great Collapse, it follows your reasoning surprisingly closely! The main difference is that in the novel, he EMP effect is global, instead of localized to a single country. I suggest that with such a rapid collapse of civilization, with everyone so busy just trying to survive, and with absolutely no way to communicate over vast distances except for homing pigeons and smoke signals, that people would be forced to slowly re-discover how to survive again without electricity. I believe that people, however, are quite remarkable, and would eventually adapt, and find a new equilibrium.
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

Unread post

It does sound like a book I would like to read. The only fiction I read is the type based on actual science gone wrong, usually resulting in the possible collapse of humanity. Like Michael Crichton's "The Andromeda Strain".

But, I'm currently unemployed. Chris bought a copy of Stephen Hawking's "The Grand Design" for me to borrow while we discuss the book in November\December.

I think Chris is looking for a fiction book to discuss. Maybe you can talk to him about promoting your book.
jhorton
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I am a big fan of Crichton's work as well. Have you read NEXT, which I believe was one of his last novels?
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

Unread post

Actually, I completely got out of reading fiction 10 or so years ago, concentrating on math, physics, and computers instead.

I heard that his last novel before he died was very good. I think it was about exposing the global warming scam or something.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”