• In total there are 7 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What's your favorite book?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
mikeposner
Official Newbie!

What's your favorite book?

Unread post

Hey all,

What's your favorite book and why?

My favorite book is The Mansion written by Henry van dyke!!
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: What's your favorite book?

Unread post

Hi mike, I read "The Mansion" years ago; very inspirational, but then that was Van Dyke's genre (if that is the correct term). Have you ever read "The Other Wise Man"??? also by him.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
LyndaO
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I have to give this some thought. My favorite this week is different from last week.
I love so many books that I read when I was younger but what they did was prepare me for my favorites of today.
I can't remember the books I hated because I fired them all into the trash before I finished them. Wait! The Yearling -- it was one of those summer reading books when I was in school. Awful. I was probably too young and callow. AND...Wuthering Heights, I've read it multiple times & I've seen every movie production -- well, maybe only a lot of them. I keep wondering when I'll find the beauty in that dreary novel-full of lunkheads. And then about a year ago I read an essay by I can't remember who that said to read WH not as a love-gone-wrong-tragedy novel but as a novel of REVENGE. Someday, if I live long enough, I'll do that. A change of perspective may work.
With a simple question you've messed with my head, MikePosner.
Welcome!
More questions please.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Mike, I just realized I did not answer your question. In all honesty, I can't answer it. I have been reading since I was five years old; I am now 70+. I do not exaggerate when I say my lifetime reading list runs into the hundreds, if not the thousands. I enjoy multiple genres, Science-fiction, history, crime/suspense, western (some), and good general fiction. I also read a lot of non-fiction; political, philosophical, scientific, biography. I have also read my share of drek. How to compare a well written biography to a well written work of fiction????
Don't mean to be negative or trying to confuse you, I confuse mself often enough.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Stephen Osborne
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Walden by Henry David Thoreau. This book changed my life in many ways. It introduced me to Philosophy and broadened my understandings. Ever since I read this book I've had a hard time reading anything but Philosophy. It also inspired me to pursue a career in forestry.
"What a man thinks of himself indicates his fate" - Henry David Thoreau
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

I refuse to pick just one. :P
aimster813
Official Newbie!

Unread post

This excellent book is right at the top of my list and is going to be available for free downloading on the 28th and 29th of this month. Don’t miss out and please feel free to share with others!
http://www.amazon.com/Smokefree-Way-UP- ... op+smoking
aimster813
Official Newbie!

Reminder

Unread post

Just a reminder that this excellent book is available for free downloading today and tomorrow. It is a good New Year’s resolution! Don’t miss out and please feel free to share with others!
http://www.amazon.com/Smokefree-Way-UP- ... op+smoking
philipkeller
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I like to read the story book and my favorite story book is Harry Potter. I read whole series of Harry Potter, they all books are really great and when you read this book you feel some fun and adventure.
christinamartine
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are up there along with "The Power of Now". :)

Return to “Everything Else”