• In total there are 11 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What book and how many times?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

What book and how many times?

Unread post

What book have you re-read most and how many times did you re-read it?Just a thought I had...I have no answer. I cannot remember a book I read more than twice...that was Animal Farm by Orwell.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: What book and how many times?

Unread post

I've read "The Bridge At San Luis Rey" twice, and I'd probably have read it more, but my copy is constantly on loan.I've read "Catcher in the Rye" two or three times, and have been rereading Salinger's short stories.I must have read "The Hobbit" a half-dozen times, and I know that I've read "The Fellowship of the Ring" twice, maybe more.Twice for "Dynamics of Faith" by Tillich; twice or more for a number of Platonic dialogues; twice for the "Nicomachean Ethics" and some of Nietzche's works.I'd re-read Iris Murdoch's "The Bell", but that's another one I keep out on loan. I plan on rereading "Dracula" and I've already bought a copy of "Animal Farm" to reread.There's probably more; I'll post them if I think of them.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I've read The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris a few times, but I forget what other books I've read multiple times. I do this frequently. I'll just pick up a book and start reading even though I've read it before.
Murray Graham
Experienced

Unread post

Probably the Lord of the Rings...about 5 or 6 times, on of which was reading all 1176 pages aloud to my daughter.Regards,M. Graham Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books.For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring,but to him they are but toys of the moment,to be overturned with the flick of a finger. -- Gordon R.Dickson
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

I've read all the books in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire a few times over. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
ADO15

Unread post

Strangely for someone who loves to keep books, I very rarely read a book more than once (there are so many other books in the world to get on with).But there are a good few I have read twice.The only ones I think I have read more than that would be Resurrection by Tolstoy, and Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky. I think I've read that about four or five times. _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I've read both Catcher in the Rye and Animal Farm twice. I read them initially for classes in High School. Then, I read them as an adult, aloud with my boyfriend. He had never read either of them and I felt that those were two classics he would enjoy. I have also read Ever Since Darwin twice. I've read large parts of Drama of a Gifted Child and A Brief History of Time again also. The latter book has been read through on more than one occasion because it is probably the most difficult book I have read. I have read a few of Shakespeare's plays more than once also. That's all I can think of for now.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Ado, interesting that you should mention "Resurrection". I have a copy of that, and I've been meaning to read it for quite a while now. If you're interested in discussing it, maybe even reading it again, let me know and I'll try to clear up some space in my current reading stack.Tara, I didn't think it include Shakespeare. I've read "Hamlet" so many times that I've burned out on the melancholy Dane. I'd rather read just about any Shakespearian play rather than that.
ADO15

Unread post

That's a cool idea, but I'm waaay too busy right now (and I'd need to unpack more of my boxes of books to find it! ).When things settle down, and all the building work is finished, I'd love to re-read Resurrection with someone else (or a group). _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

It can definitely wait. As I've probably said, I'm reading around a dozen books concurrently at the moment. That sounds like a lot, but don't be impressed -- it usually means I just take longer to read each book. So I'll probably be too preoccupied to add in "Resurrection" any time in the near future. Let me know when you're ready to tackle it and I'll clear up some time.

Return to “Everything Else”