• In total there are 115 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 115 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Best Villain From Recent Fiction?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
AnnaWins
Getting Comfortable

Best Villain From Recent Fiction?

Unread post

My roommate and I were having a discussion/debate about the fact that there is a lack of really good villains in modern fiction. Of course, the whale in Moby Dick, Dracula, Professor Moriarty, Jekyll/Hyde etc. are legendary villains.

Has modern fiction lost the ability to produce a truly evil villain that we love to hate? I say no.

So, who's your favorite villain of the last three decades or so?
DamianLake
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Re: Best Villain From Recent Fiction?

Unread post

It's been a while since I read a villain that I 'love' to hate. But one villain in particular stands out in my mind as being so thoroughly detestable that I feel slime smearing over my soul anytime the story reached his POV chapters. I am referring to Big Jim Rennie, the town selectman in Stephen King's 'Under the Dome'. He was such an evil little bastard as I have not encountered in a very long time. Partly this stems from the fact that there is nothing supernatural about him, and he is so well written that not one trait in his character isn't a trait you have already seen in other people over your life. He is truly disturbing.

Now as for my most favorite villain ever, he actually comes from a video game rather than a book. Lezard Vellath is a sorcerer in the Valkyrie Profile game, and a truly narcissistic piece of work. And yet, you almost hate to beat him down in the game when the story reaches that point. Later he comes back like some creepy stalker, and the joke is on everyone because it turns out he was mostly right all along and he's just been waiting for the chance to say "I told you so". His smug attitude is somehow endearing when in most others it would be annoying.
pthreadneedle
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I was a huge fan of Count Olaf from Lemony Snicket. He was larger than life, very funny, and relentlessly nasty in a buffoonish school bully kind of way.
Ashtaroth
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Vladmir Harrkonnen from Frank Herbert's Dune. He is Perverse, gross, witty, and clever. Very evil...and yet sometimes I find myself rooting for him.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”