• In total there are 63 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Did the man "Jesus" exist?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Did the man "Jesus" exist?

Unread post

ant wrote:It is abundantly clear that a presuppositional antipathy toward theism is responsible for the blind dismissal of scholarly research by some of the most prominent, credentialed men in this field of study. When the heart of someone's argument is it's all just a pack of lies, or the even more absurd implication that "they're all in on it together because they are all really Christian apologetics" you know it's a desperate attempt to push forward rhetoric that is as vacuous as Doherty's Astrology research, which is really nothing more than Pulp History. I'm embarrassed that anyone would have the audacity to refer to it as a paradigm. Interesting :)
Go Ant! You tell those dirty atheists!

Okay, so I admit to "a presuppositional antipathy toward theism". So should everyone who has any decency or intelligence. I assume there is nothing real outside our universe, as do all scientific thinkers. But that is because theism is unethical fantasy, oriented to wish fulfillment, political control, and primitive superstition. Literal belief in God has no redeeming qualities except as allegory and cultural tradition, and should be abandoned by all right thinking people. Atheism is the foundation of correct thought and moral reason.

Real ethics starts with evidence. Base decisions on what we observe. Theism argues instead that truth is too complex for ordinary people and has to be mediated by a superior priesthood, who actually use their mystagogy to suppress free enquiry. Theism is utterly corrupt.

There is no evidence for theism. It is utterly contradictory to all scientific observation. It is just made up, useless and obsolete.

So ant, you want to stay in the Middle Ages with your imaginary stagnant God? That is no basis to come along to this website and abuse people who have more modern outlooks than you, trying to drag others down to your level.

In fact, Earl Doherty barely discusses astrology, and does not support it. But in any case, Roman Emperor Hadrian said in the early second century that all Christians were astrologers. Astrology is the dirty secret that the church has spent two thousand years suppressing, the ladder they kicked away once they had climbed to the top of it, ignoring their origins so they could build their fallacious supernatural myth.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
ant wrote:It is abundantly clear that a presuppositional antipathy toward theism is responsible for the blind dismissal of scholarly research by some of the most prominent, credentialed men in this field of study. When the heart of someone's argument is it's all just a pack of lies, or the even more absurd implication that "they're all in on it together because they are all really Christian apologetics" you know it's a desperate attempt to push forward rhetoric that is as vacuous as Doherty's Astrology research, which is really nothing more than Pulp History. I'm embarrassed that anyone would have the audacity to refer to it as a paradigm. Interesting :)
Go Ant! You tell those dirty atheists!

Okay, so I admit to "a presuppositional antipathy toward theism". So should everyone who has any decency or intelligence. I assume there is nothing real outside our universe, as do all scientific thinkers. But that is because theism is unethical fantasy, oriented to wish fulfillment, political control, and primitive superstition. Literal belief in God has no redeeming qualities except as allegory and cultural tradition, and should be abandoned by all right thinking people. Atheism is the foundation of correct thought and moral reason.

Real ethics starts with evidence. Base decisions on what we observe. Theism argues instead that truth is too complex for ordinary people and has to be mediated by a superior priesthood, who actually use their mystagogy to suppress free enquiry. Theism is utterly corrupt.

There is no evidence for theism. It is utterly contradictory to all scientific observation. It is just made up, useless and obsolete.

So ant, you want to stay in the Middle Ages with your imaginary stagnant God? That is no basis to come along to this website and abuse people who have more modern outlooks than you, trying to drag others down to your level.

In fact, Earl Doherty barely discusses astrology, and does not support it. But in any case, Roman Emperor Hadrian said in the early second century that all Christians were astrologers. Astrology is the dirty secret that the church has spent two thousand years suppressing, the ladder they kicked away once they had climbed to the top of it, ignoring their origins so they could build their fallacious supernatural myth.
This is rich.
Where on earth do I start?

How have I "abused" people here?
I began by stating what criteria is used to determine the existence of figures from antiquity.
After which, I called into question the credentials of your source, and along with that, questioned your understanding of the criteria I set forth.

You blasted everything as being nothing more than claims from biased Christian apologists.
In addition to that, when I brought to your attention Socrates as a counter example, what you essentially said was that the evidence we have for his existence can be trusted because the sources did not lie (speculation), they were written in real time (no evidence presented for that), there were no religious motives for the story that would call them into question (you ignored the political/social motives by saying "they wouldn't lie about it" - more guess work, and totally ignored Plato's divine conception origin that if you scrutinized in the same manner as Christ, would cast doubts of his existence.
You also refused to admit that it was not uncommon for men to be mythologized in both Jesus and Socrates time.

And now you feel abused because of it??

You are now ready to debate all of creation, along with ethics, which you feel you have evidence for (whatever that means).

You have lost total control all because I placed information that is acknowledged by mainstream scholarship alongside a pulp history author like Doherty.

Seriously.., you feel abused for it?

I've held my ground. It apparently got a bit heated between you and I. You weren't exactly short of snide remarks on your end.

Puhlease :D
Last edited by ant on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Roman Emperor Hadrian said in the early second century that all Christians were astrologers
And you believe the good emperor on what basis?

What was the attitude toward Christians before Constantine?
What reason(s) would Hadrian have had to make such a claim?
What was the context of that claim?

Anyone can cherry pick from history.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Ant it seems you completely misunderstand me continuously. "Junkyard source" is exactly what I mean when I speak of the public domain. I'm not talking about semi-private forums held privately by scholars. I am speaking of the market place if you will.

Let me put it to you this way. If you are in a Muslim country and you hear the call to prayer are you uncertain which faith is being practiced in that country? Do you think you are in a Christian country or a Buddhist country?

Well that is the way it is in America. The public profession is of the Christian faith, not Judaism, Not Islam. We swear on the Bible in court and in accepting public office. We pray at commencement exercises. It is persistent and pervasive. Because you are lock and step in tune with this viewpoint you do not question it, even to the point of noticing it which is why your response to me shows no understanding.[/quote]

I'm sorry this is all very upsetting to you :(
It's tough living in a country that is religiously tolerant. :(

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

ant wrote:How have I "abused" people here?
Ant, you have steadily ratcheted up your rhetoric. You started on page 1 by accusing Lady of Shallot of 'poisoning the well' simply for observing there is no evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ. LoS was quite right to take offense at your comment, which falsely implies there is evidence for an assertion that is untrue.

Next you moved on to accuse "Mysticists" (a conveniently abusive typo) of being odd like creationists. This is a highly offensive statement, slandering people who rely on reason and evidence by comparing them to primitive ignoramuses. And then, when I pointed out that the Synoptic Gospels are not evidence for Jesus, in the absence of independent testimony, you said my comments were perfunctory, nonchalant and laughable.

When Lady of Shallot rightly pointed out there is almost no public debate in the USA of the existence of Jesus except on the internet, you accused her of relying on 'junkyard sources' while you conspicuously failed to provide any evidence of such debate.

And then you suggested that anyone who has made up their mind about the unreliability of the Bible is wearing "horseblinders". The only people with tunnel vision in this debate are the apologists for a nonexistent historical Jesus.
I called into question the credentials of your source, and along with that, questioned your understanding of the criteria I set forth.
Credentialism in this debate is a weak tactic, simply because the new scholarship is systematically excluded from discussion in all venues where traditional Christianity has any power. I understand your criteria perfecty well, I have simply observed that you are wrong in claiming there is independent testimony for Jesus.
You blasted everything as being nothing more than claims from biased Christian apologists.
Yes, because the assertion that there is independent testimony for Jesus is Christian apologetics pure and simple. There is no other possible motive for saying there is evidence when in fact there is no evidence. Any objective person can understand the difference between hearsay and eyewitness acoounts, except it seems Christian apologists.
In addition to that, when I brought to your attention Socrates as a counter example, what you essentially said was that the evidence we have for his existence can be trusted because the sources did not lie (speculation), they were written in real time (no evidence presented for that), there were no religious motives for the story that would call them into question (you ignored the political/social motives by saying "they wouldn't lie about it" - more guess work, and totally ignored Plato's divine conception origin that if you scrutinized in the same manner as Christ, would cast doubts of his existence.
Best not to use quotation marks when you are not quoting. It is not the virgin birth story that puts the existence of Jesus into question, it is the absence of evidence for his existence coupled with the means, motive and opportunity for the church to invent him. There is an air of desperation when people start talking about doubting the existence of real historical figures like Plato. Shades of Descartes' demon.

You also refused to admit that it was not uncommon for men to be mythologized in both Jesus and Socrates time.
Sorry Ant, you will have to provide a reference here, as I fear you are starting to make things up.
And now you feel abused because of it??
My feelings are neither here nor there, what is at issue is what people actually say. I am happy to admit that I have made abusive comments about Christian apologists, but that is because they deserve it for spreading lies. If I behaved in a similarly unethical way I would deserve criticism, but I have not and do not.
You are now ready to debate all of creation, along with ethics, which you feel you have evidence for (whatever that means).
Ethics is what this is really all about. Do we subscribe to a scientific world view or not? Science is at the core of legitimate ethics. As Voltaire said, believing absurdities permits atrocities. Lies and fantasy are the foundation of evil. It is completely unethical to assert that something you know to be false is true. Evidence is at the core of ethics.

We should debate cosmology, because a religion that is based on an untrue cosmology is like a house built on sand. We have a true cosmology available to us (science) and it is not compatible with the folk myths of traditional Christianity.
You have lost total control all because I placed information that is acknowledged by mainstream scholarship alongside a pulp history author like Doherty.
Aw shucks ant, it might be helpful if this so-called "information" that you have supposedly provided were anything more than a tissue of appeals to authority. Your description of Earl Doherty as "a pulp history author" is defamatory and false. Earl is used to such abuse from fundamentalist Christians, but it demeans you to stoop to such insults.
Seriously.., you feel abused for it? I've held my ground. It apparently got a bit heated between you and I. You weren't exactly short of snide remarks on your end. Puhlease :D
My snide remarks are simply observing that people often believe things that are untrue, such as your assertion that there is actual evidence for the historical existence of Jesus Christ. Despite all your rhetoric, which is starting to remind me of a tub-thumping preacher, your arguments in this thread have been extremely weak. It all goes to show that the paradigm of historical Jesus belief is at the point of collapse.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Heated, indeed. Robert, if I may, I think that ant is objecting to a heavily propagandist tone in some of your argument. Shades of Orwell's "Politics and the English Language."
Rageeth
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I think so
Probably because lots of people have belief in him.
also there is a bible written probably by Jesus
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

It is abundantly clear that a presuppositional antipathy toward theism is responsible for the blind dismissal of scholarly research by some of the most prominent, credentialed men in this field of study. When the heart of someone's argument is it's all just a pack of lies, or the even more absurd implication that "they're all in on it together because they are all really Christian apologetics" you know it's a desperate attempt to push forward rhetoric that is as vacuous as Doherty's Astrology research, which is really nothing more than Pulp History. I'm embarrassed that anyone would have the audacity to refer to it as a paradigm.

Interesting :)[/quote]

What is abundantly clear to any discerning reader of this forum is that the "Presuppositional antipathy" does not lie with Robert Tulip and his authoritative, well supported, dispassionate argument but rather with the accuser of such a claim.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

No, I have to jump in here again and say that RT's arguments are often anything but dispassionate. I'm not sure he wants them to be dispassionate.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

ant wrote: I'm sorry this is all very upsetting to you :(
It's tough living in a country that is religiously tolerant. :(

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Is frustration upsetting? That is what I feel in trying to communicate with you, Ant. I think the whole point I have been trying to make all along is that this country IS NOT religiously tolerant, in that it does not allow any dissent from religion (i.e. atheism) in the public domain.

As far as the topic itself being upsetting, of course not. I have had a long life in this country and I am confident that in time many more, if not the majority of people will agree with my viewpoint, not that you hold.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”