• In total there are 26 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Speechless

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Re: speechless

Unread post

Chris's comment also gave me pause. I looked up on line who the producers were. Although I couldn't figure it out for sure, I don't think the money will be used in support of the organization that hosts Jesus Camp, or any other type of religious affiliation. The documentary was produced by its two directors (Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady). They have done a couple of these type documentaries (I haven't seen any). I do not see them attached to any religious organization. They sold it whole to a distributor. As far as I can tell they and the distributors will be the sole beneficiaries of any money that is made.As for intention, I read a piece of an interview of the organization's owner (I'm sorry I forget her name). She said it was originally introduced as a documentary to explore childhood faith and spirituality, which is why she ok'd it. Afterwards, she found it was to have more of a political focus. However, she said the documentary was viewed by herself and others in her organization before it was released. That the directors (after already having sold the documentary--therefore spending money from their own pocket), addressed the concerns they had, predominantly with the soundtrack. She said as a whole she thinks its a fair piece. As far as I know it is not an agenda-driven documentary, a la Michael Moore, but strives to be objective. And largely succeeds. Which, I imagine, means those of us who look at such indoctrination with disgust will see the horror; and, those who are oblivious, will continue to be oblivious.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”