• In total there are 34 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Prominent Scientists and their religiosity

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Re: Prominent Scientists and their religiosity

Unread post

@ Dexter
No prob. I'm not adverse to having a little fun myself.
The sincerity of believers does not get you very far at all. People have believed and have been willing to die for beliefs throughout history. Surely that hardly counts for evidence.
I actually didn't mean it as a measure for authenticity, but rather as a simple statement of clarification and fact. The accounts are not neutral histories... they are letters written for the evangelical and discipling purposes.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

Doulos, your courtesy is appreciated. Dexter expresses a very reasonable frustration, that science generally finds it incomprehensible that people believe things that are simply false. You assert that Luke's claims to be writing history constitute evidence. Yet Luke wrote generations after the supposed time of Christ, and derived his historical fables from Mark. If Jesus was real, and not a myth, it defies credibility that the "evidence" is so late and so embedded in texts whose primary objective is to inculcate religious belief.
It defies modern standards of evidence (in a technological CNN world). The Gospels and letters of the New Testament were products of a primarily oral culture. They were set to papyrus beginning in the lifetime of Jesus' contemporaries (Mark is considered the earliest gospel with dating probably around 30 years after Jesus' death. Later dating is based upon a disbelief in the possibility of prophetic writing.) They thus reflect an already existant body of belief (sometimes called the hypothetical Q gospel), which was in circulation well prior to the time of writing.

I'm not sure what you're terming 'two generations,' as Luke is generally accepted as written in the early 60s, and so again in the lifetime of Jesus' contemporaries. His Gospel obviously derives some material from Mark, but adds detail as well. This detail was most likely already in circulation, and again could be varified by the still living witnesses, critics, and disciples of Jesus.

The fact that it was designed to inculcate belief is obvious. This does not denote falsehood though, merely personal conviction.
A lot of current research argues that the actual evidence is far more compatible with the invention of Christ than with the supposed 'big bang' of expansion of Christianity from a single historical founder. Paul barely quotes Jesus, and then only in ways that suggest a cultic archetype rather than a real person. The supposed external evidence such as from Josephus is blatant fabrication. Writers such as Philo who would have written about Jesus if he was real are silent. Earl Doherty's Jesus Neither God Nor Man presents a comprehensive logical and evidentiary demolition of the Historical Jesus hypothesis.
I think you're a bit out of date with this assertion. There was a period when it was fashionable to assert theories of Jesus' non-existance. That view has basically lost ground as critical scholarship has tested the theories. Even liberal agnostic/atheist theologians like Ehrman now accept the reality of Jesus' existance.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Josephus is unreliable. There are about four passages from Josephus which are possibly modified, but this modification is mainly in degree (based upon Syraic desert copy of Josephus and scholarly critique). The fact that he wrote about a historical Jesus has never really been in doubt by mainstream academia, and Josephus is still regarded as one of our primary sources for his period. Which Philo are you referring to by the way, and why do you think he would hae written about Jesus?

I'm afraid I can't comment on Doherty's book, as I haven't read it. If you'd like to post some of his more convincing theories, I'd be happy to discuss them with you.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

I appreciate your reply, Doulos, and your openness and courtesy. I was confused initially because I thought I had responded to ant's post, yet you replied as if you were the author of that post. Now ant and you have somewhat similar views, but you can't be the same person...can you?
I'm not sure who Ant is, but I'm fairly certain I'm not him/her. :D

My wife tells me I'm much more handsome and suave then Ant, but I think she's heavily biased and possibly blind.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

Far more plausible is the idea that ancient religion involved cosmic mysteries that were seen as distasteful to the Jewish Yahweh cult, and these Gnostic traditions were suppressed by the political agenda of making Jesus the basis of imperial stability for Rome. Reconstructing the fragments of Gnostic stellar myths presents a far more scientific approach to early Christianity than any effort to rehabilitate the tired old supernatural fantasies. This scientific method opens the prospect of Christianity being reconciled with science, discarding the supernatural weeds in favour of the fertile seeds of natural reality.
Christianity was not accepted by Rome until at least the time of Constantine, and even then only in parts of the empire under his control. That leaves over 300 years where Christianity was a persecuted sect.

I'm not sure why the Roman authorities would suppress gnosticism (there also being non-Christian gnostics), which would not conflict with their accepted norms of belief in favour of a Christianity which they deemed 'atheist.' Christianity never 'suppressed' gnosticism, and I'm not sure how an illegal entity could do so. They simply taught against it and held up the example of a real Jesus who was accepted as both human and divine.

As to science and compatibility with Christianity, there is no real barrier even now, as Francis Collins is an example of.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

As others have pointed out the above does not constitute evidence, especially not extraordinary evidence. Let me show you by example.
What I've posted is evidence, as is the humourous example you posted. You did a nice drawing by the way. I'll give you 2 stars. :) :)

What you're talking about is whether the evidence is accepted, which is a different question.

If Dr. Robert Smith, Professor Erin Flieslots and yourself give up your jobs and highly promising art careers to stand behind your 300 page document, it would add weight to your contention.

If your contention does not lead to material gain, but rather ostracism, persecution and no stars in kindergarten, that too would weigh.

If hundreds of people who are not in your employ also stand behind your testimony, that too would add to the weight of your evidence.

If you and those others who witnessed it accepted death and torture for no apparent gain, merely to stand behind the truth of what you saw, that too would add to the strength of your witness.

Part of the extraordinaryness of the evidence lies in the reliability of the people who espouse it. We live in a world where few people demonstrate real strength of chracter, and I include many of our popular religious leaders in this failure. Strength of conviction does not equal truth, but especially when it stands firm till the end, it does deserve a careful look.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

I was also referring to evidence that is allowable in court. Including witnesses. You have none. You have a book instead. That's the truth of it, unfortunately. The book can't be considered admissable as an "ancient document" in court due to the unknown chain of possession.
I'm afraid you have me there. The statute of limitations would definitely be an issue as well, as would be the fact that this same case has been tried already... repeatedly through the centuries. The issue of whether a crime had been committed would also be an interesting question :roll:
If it were, you would still need a mountain of ordinary evidence in conjunction with the bible to offset the precedent. Even in the court of law.
Interesting that so many people who were alive when the witnesses WERE alive were convinced though. As were those simple and gullible people, the later Roman emperors.
In my experience, people who support the bible want extremely low standards of support for their belief to be accepted. An entire nation of people. There is a reason the word "faith" is used, but so many new up and comers believe they have PROOF that their belief is true. In every case I've encountered, they have no understanding of the distinction between proof and evidence. They have no clue what constitutes justified evidence, either legally or scientifically. It's no wonder we have people believing in every fantasy under the sun.
I am within your experience Interbane.

Have I demonstrated low levels of proof? Are you accusing me of having no understanding of proof vs evidence?

Some people have strong personal conviction of their beliefs. Some may not be able to express it adequetely. Am I talking about Christians or Atheists?

Merely because I've met many Atheists who base their belief or part thereof on one book which they've read and accept 100% (a rather interesting contention all its own. I'm not sure I've ever read a book which I agree with 100%), does not mean that I question their intelligence, honesty or the difference between their conviction and factual knowledge.

Are you saying that this personal experience of yours constitutes proof or evidence? Would it stand up in court? :wink:
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

That is why you only have "faith" to justify your belief(I don't consider faith a justification of belief). Not evidence, and certainly not proof. I believe you continue to misuse the word "proof" as well, Doulos. If you had proof, no matter the archetype, it would mean your belief is incontrovertible and all the critics on this website would change their minds if they saw it. Unless you have something new, that I haven't seen in my roughly 10,000 hours of studying the debate between science and religion, then I'd humbly claim you're mistaken.
No, I had sufficient personal evidence to lead me to a point where I could make a clear choice. It thus constituted sufficient proof for me.

evidence- ground for belief or disbelief; data on which to base proof or to establish truth or falsehood

proof- any evidence that establishes or helps to establish the truth, validity, quality, etc., of something
(definitions from Collins English Dictionary)

You're confusing the concept of proof and evidence with whether that proof and evidence has universal application. You're essentially saying that IF it is sufficient proof and evidence for you, it must also be sufficient proof and evidence for me.

I can only say, perhaps it would have been if you were me and lived/experienced/read/studied exactly the same things I have. I'm fairly certain you're not me however. Or am I Ant? Or are you Ant... :?

(see DWill's post if you have no idea what I'm talking about )
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Doulos wrote:I think you're a bit out of date with this assertion. There was a period when it was fashionable to assert theories of Jesus' non-existance. That view has basically lost ground as critical scholarship has tested the theories. Even liberal agnostic/atheist theologians like Ehrman now accept the reality of Jesus' existance.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Josephus is unreliable. There are about four passages from Josephus which are possibly modified, but this modification is mainly in degree (based upon Syraic desert copy of Josephus and scholarly critique). The fact that he wrote about a historical Jesus has never really been in doubt by mainstream academia, and Josephus is still regarded as one of our primary sources for his period. Which Philo are you referring to by the way, and why do you think he would hae written about Jesus?

I'm afraid I can't comment on Doherty's book, as I haven't read it. If you'd like to post some of his more convincing theories, I'd be happy to discuss them with you.
I will respond in more detail later. There have been a number of threads at in the Booktalk Belief Religion and Philosophy Forum that discuss these issues. My review of Doherty's book is at http://www.booktalk.org/post96752.html
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

Yes, a fallacy is neutral. Many use it as if it were evidence of a false claim. A claim isn't false because of a fallacy, but the fallacy does not support it. Your use of the word "prove" makes me anxious. Proof is a rare thing.
So you're saying I understand what a logical fallacy is, but don't understand the difference between faith, evidence and proof? :)

I would say that my faith is build upon the evidence that preceeded it, if that helps clarify.
Faith is not a decision made in absence of reason, though this is one possible definition of it. It can also imply a decision made with incomplete evidence, but in the context of Christianity the best definition is simply 'trust.'

faith- (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) trust in God and in his actions and promises
(started with Collins English Dictionary, so I'm continuing with it)
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

I will respond in more detail later. There have been a number of threads at in the Booktalk Belief Religion and Philosophy Forum that discuss these issues. My review of Doherty's book is at post96752.html
Thanks Robert. I may be slow in replying as well. I should really be doing work at the moment...

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”