• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
heledd
Doctorate

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

EEk!! Out of books again. Just finished 'The Soldier's Return' by Melvin Bragg, and picked up 'The Demon Haunted World ' - again. Need to scour the local book lending bars again
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Katrina Rose
Master Debater

Unread post

I'm currently reading A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons. The reviews are average but I believe it's anything but average. Plus, I connect to his style of writing when he reflects to the past which he does often. I can't wait to leave a review of this book.
shellilea
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory. I found it in Amazon's free book list for Kindle. Not a bad read, but I prefer darker stories ;)
usdfg
Master Debater

Unread post

Just finished reading Eagle Day, its a fiction book talking about the events that prevented Hitler from attacking britain on september 16th. Pretty good :)
karend2007
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Today I finished 'May I Have Your Attention Please?' by James Corden. I'm not much of a fan of autobiographies, but I enjoyed this. It made me laugh out loud a lot.

Having seen the film adaptation, I thought that I would give the novel 'War Horse' by Michael Morpurgo a try. So far it's very good.
“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”- Groucho Marx
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Les Misérables, Victor Hugo. Hugo can be very preachy, he mentions that his great grandfather was an archbishop or something. It doesn't bother me because he writes quite a bit about the disicion making of the characters and he focuses on the personalities of these characters more than the invluence of God. There is a pasage that reads, "there are many names for God, but the best name is compassion." This is said by the Bishop of D.. who is a great influence on the main character, Jean Valjean. Compassion comes from God, evil comes from society according to Hugo, and Hugo does focus on society. The characters are shaped by society, and their personalities reflect how society has affected them. I find Hugo's preaching to be less in Les Mis than in "Hunchback".

When reading Hugo his novels read like the words are spoken and not writen. I feel like Hugo is telling me the story. Les Mis is certainly miserable. Hugo has a flair for the melodramatic. But, how he describes the inter workings of the characters emotions and thoughts and dreams make the novel interesting. Descision making and the thought process behind those decisions bring in the previous lives of the characters, and although these persons have changed due to society there is still a hint of the compassion of their lives once lived as innocents.

His opinions about 18th hundred French society are clear. He touches on women and describes women as slaves of poverty and maternity. Like Dickens he vehemently criticises the law, law makers and law enforcers. But, unlike Dumas, Hugo embraces these criticisms and makes them a central force in his novel. So, Hugo is not as much fun as Dumas, but I am enjoying Les Mis, but it sure is miserable!
karend2007
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

'Les Miserables' is a novel that I'm going to read next. It looks a challenging book, particularly the size of it!

I look forward to reading your thoughts on this when you have finished.
“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”- Groucho Marx
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I am currently reading three books; "Bones in the Earth" by Michael Swanwick, a science ficiton novel involving time travel and paleontology (yes, dinosaurs), "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan, and (audio book) "We Bought a Zoo" by Benjamin Mee.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Just finished My Sister, My Love by Joyce Carol Oates, an author i was introduced to by Booktalk. Brilliant writer, just can't get enough of her
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
writerjohnb
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Cattleman - if you enjoy paleontology and SF, you should check out Robert J. Sawyer, the award winning Canadian author. His scifi always has a strong scientific basis.

I'm slogging through Gods and Generals, by Jeff Shaara. Although it's well written, it alternates scenes between 4 POV characters who were influential in the civil war, which makes it hard to get into the story because the novel begins years before the war and all the characters are in different locales. I'm hoping I'll get more into it once the war begins.
Author of Necessary Evil - a historical novel about the biggest secret of WW2
http://www.johnbushore.com

Return to “What are you currently reading?”