• In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Newbie from England !

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Bookworm90
Getting Comfortable

Newbie from England !

Unread post

Hello Everyone !
My real name is Rosie but I thought Bookworm sounds more appropriate ? :)
I'm from South of England. I'm 22 years old and love to read anything from Emily Bronte, Charles Dickens to Euripides and Homer ! !

I enjoy just about any genre of books but I participially enjoy fantasy/horror,historical either fiction or non-fiction..

Some of my favourite authors are:
Philippa Gregory
Dan Brown
Linzi Glass
Leo Tolstoy

-Rosie
Durzo blint
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: Newbie from England !

Unread post

Welcome to the group :)

I'd like to suggest you read all of Peter F hamilton's work, he writes excellent SF
Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches to your body
George Carlin
Bookworm90
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Will do, always open to suggestions !
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Rosie, have you read any of Bernard Cornwell's books? I like his Saxon Chronicles (set in the time of Alfred the Great), and his stand alone novel "Agincourt" (I probably misspelled that) is excellent. Obviously, both deal with British history. :)

In the horror genre, it is had to beat Stephen King or Dean Koontz. :shock: :twisted:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Bookworm90
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi Cattleman, no i haven't ! Saxon period was an interesting one, im interested in History books so that will definitely have to be a read for me. I've always ever read Tudor/Victorian books based in that era. Thanks for the suggestion,

Agree with Stephen King, my favourite will have to be Salem's Lot, brilliant !
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello Rosie and welcome to BookTalk! :)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :-)
Casey2012
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Welcome Bookworm90. I am also a relatively new member. Love the great suggestions from others.

I also enjoy reading non-fiction history on England's past as well as historical fiction. I am particular interested in women rulers as it is interesting to see how they managed to lead in their times. Must have been a real challenge requiring a keen mind and great instincts. Have read some on Eleanor of Acquitaine and Henry II, really like anything about Elizabeth I. And I like stories about Queen Victoria.

I have read about Catherine the Great as well. I would welcome any suggestions on historical non-fiction from English history and of course authors that write historical fiction from the same periods in history.

I also enjoy Spanish history as well as French, but I really prefer English pretty much from before William the Conqueror through Victoria's reign.

As for books that are interesting related to different viewpoints of how the world is perceived, I like Simon R. Green. Really only his Nightside and Golden Torq work. The others do not seem as good. They may have been early experiments. Also Jim Butcher. These are very talented writers. But you have to enjoy stories that are pretty out there, but still connected, tenuously sometimes, to our actual world today. They are not really Science Fiction, and not Fantasy either, but show a lot of imagination. I wish I had thought of the Nightside myself. Interesting and scary place!!!

If you like anything in the vampire genre, I would recommend Laurell K. Hamilton. I think she is talented and her stories are the ones that keep you on the edge of your seat.
Bookworm90
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks all :)

In response to Casey2012, I am interested in Elizabeth I as well as Queen Victoria, women rulers are particular interesting for me too, that's why I enjoy many of Phillipa Gregory's books, I highly recommend The Other Boleyn Girl.

yes i'm also very interested in vampire culture (guilty pleasure!) I've read Laurell K.Hamilton's books such as the Merry Gentry series, also highly recommend those if you gave not read them...

Thanks for those suggestions no doubt i'll be reading up on those !
Casey2012
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Thanks for the suggestions Bookworm90. I will give the Philipa Gregory books a try.

It is harder to suggest vampire books, or even fantasy as the tastes range so widely. For example I am not into Science Fiction, while I know there are thousands that are. And of course since the sudden success several years ago of the vampire books, everyone has jumped on board so there are some really awful examples.

Any other suggestions more than welcome.

Return to “Everything Else”