• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
zumajim
Official Newbie!

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

Reading "Vulture Peak", the latest by John Burdett in his Royal Thai Detective series. I've been a Burdett fan since "The Last Six Million Seconds" and have read the entire "Bangkok" series. How can a white expatriate Briton be so convincing as a Thai Buddhist murder detective? Burdett is a little bit too preachy in the voice of his main character, but he's also funny and spares the west no expense when it comes to our hubris and hypocrisy. He makes Bangkok so enticing and revolting all at once that I'm hooked. I need to go there someday.
wave1188
Official Newbie!
United States of America

Unread post

I'm reading TRUE BLUE by David Baldacci.
March-Hare
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

So I was in a used bookstore and found a copy of Party of One: The Loner's Manifesto. I've seen a few reviews of this online and one criticism is that it's a little over the top. It is that at times, but as someone who is extremely introverted several chapters really made me think about how I see myself. Recommended.
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

Right now I'm reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Gone with the Wind.

March-hare I love your name! Alice in Wonderland is my favorite children's book.
March-Hare
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Thanks! Although I have to admit I don't have a copy of that book in my library. The name is more of an inside joke. Now I feel compelled to get a copy and read it. One more book in the to read pile can't hurt.
tjamesmoss.author
Devoted Member

Unread post

I just finished Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel. To be fair, I must say that Diamond is a brilliant human history theorist. He managed to weave history, science and mathematics in a way that forces new ways of thinking regarding the supremacy of nations/specific civilizations. However, readers should beware; Diamond writes like a scientist and his book is an argument written for scientists' consideration.

The text is long, repetitive and certainly dry in some places. It does not read fluidly, and this is hardly the kind of historical prose you plan to hang onto all night long until you finish.

Read it for his brilliance; prepare to suffer.
clarity99
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'm currently reading One Day by David Nicholls, I really like the idea (not a classic love story and really funny so far, however I have already seen the movie and I suppose in the book the end is also tragic). This I'm reading in English and I always read parallel a book in Hungarian, which will be in few days "Another Bullshit Night in Suck City" by Nick Flynn (just the title is hilarious I think).
"Books are cold but safe friends"
March-Hare
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Busy at work, so here is what I am looking to tackle before the end of the year: Quiet by Susan Cain, Through the Eye of the Needle by Peter Brown, and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I am trying to read "Infinite Jest" but the first chapter so far is a beast! I have had this book recommended several times and I really want to see what they saw in it....but so far, no luck.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
March-Hare
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

froglipz,

I've been thinking about taking a crack at Infinite Jest. I would be interested in hearing more about it. Please post additional thoughts if you are so inclined.

You may also want to take a look at his Kenyon College Address if you haven't done so already. You can find it online. Well worth a read IMHO.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”