• In total there are 34 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Spirituality without religion

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Re: Spirituality without religion

Unread post

Zowee Robert. I'm going to be at this all night if I try to answer all the interesting things you say!
I take it you're a Hegel/Heidegger fan.
Forgive me if I just address what I think is a central difference between the way we understand "experience".
Robert Tulip wrote:Your example of grasping illustrates how all particular examples serve to enable us to construct a universal idea, a concept in which all instances share. This universal idea can be characterised in this instance as 'the spirit of grasping'. But once we have the universal definition of grasping, it then takes on a life of its own, through relation to cultural motifs.
I don't think this is quite right. I don't think we construct a "universal idea" based on particular examples. Rather I think we just have this notion of universality that comes from the illusion of a central and singular "I" and that this construct is after-the-fact applied to our individual experiences. Sort of like the Libet experiments suggest that our conscious decisions are post-hoc formulations of things already decided and acted upon by the unconscious soma. Such experiments strongly suggest that much of what we experience consciously is not decisive in the way we have always assumed.
Robert Tulip wrote:My view is that spiritual ideas obtain their cultural resonance from the way they reveal archetypal symbols. The more pervasive the archetype, the more powerful the symbol. But that means these metaphors you give from ordinary experience are only a part of the process of forming spiritual concepts.
Yes, see that's the basic place we diverge in these-here woods. Assuming that concepts are built up of the "material" of individual experiences is fundamental to much of Western intellectual and magical history. It is how we seem to experience things, but as Libet (and others) have shown, it appears not to be how conscious concepts actually come to be. If the evidence coming to light is 1) correct and 2) being interpreted correctly (all unknown yet), then this assumed inductive mental process is an illusion that stems from the consequences of our specific form of increasing encephalization. My point is merely that archetypes are illusions in the same way identities are illusions. It's not that they don't exist but that they are like the surface of the sun. What we see (because of the particular nature of our visual perception limitations) is not the surface of the sun - in fact can we really say the sun has a surface at all? So archetypes are more like words. What "vile" means now when used is not what it would have meant to a speaker of Middle English. Yet we say it is the same word. Is it when it means something so very different now?
Robert Tulip wrote:Deriving the sense of the eternal from bodily logic does seem rather reductive to me. I prefer to see the imagination of the eternal as different in kind rather than in degree from ordinary temporal observation. For example many cultures perceive the sun as eternal, because it has been the same throughout history. But then we symbolise the sun (for example in the Christ archetype) as connecting us to an ultimate eternal reality. That process seems to me rather different from what you call bodily logic.
Yes I suppose it does seem reductive. Materialism seems to appear reductive in part because of the notion of matter deeply buried in our cultural assumptions - matter is something passive and not autodidactic. Underlying much of the distress about seemingly reductive materialism is the difficulty in grasping the unbelievable ability of "stuff" to organize itself. One of my favourite examples is the recent discovery that not only do bacteria signal amongst themselves forming a kind of "community" using something called quorum sensing but that bacteria and their hosts use the same methodology to communicate. Molecular shape is information laden. That added to environmental conditioning is the engine that drives material change and the increasing complexity of information in the non-living (and living) universe under conditions that allow for relative material stability. My point here - re the sun - is that this story is another form of information complex held in the material and that this is the limit of its reality. This has much to do with the fact that all humans live under the sun and so we (as material beings) are all impacted by the sun's existence and this "relationship" alters our cellular information in somewhat similar ways. We therefore experience something that appears the same. This kind of information is (for me) different in degree not in kind from the signalling going on between our (also shared/universal) gut bacteria and our digestive systems. Again - here we diverge.

Eeeek. I just ran on and on and on. Sorry. Wasn't going to do that. All your fault - you make interesting points.

Link to purevolume please.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If this is the case I think we could argue that the base skill (1, 2, many) is likely a hard-wired ability where the ability to extend that into the development of abstract thinking with numbers (223 as a concept, for example) is something like language - we are born with an ability to "hear" or "recognize" the abstraction when it is used in the environment and then our brains wire as we are increasingly exposed but we are all hardwired to communicate in ways non-linguistic.
I believe every piece of information in our brains is an abstraction. Even if the referant is something concrete, the stored data of that object must be an abstraction of it, a compressed idealized form. The very development of the brain must deal with abstractions, and frameworks within which to place abstractions. Numbers are easy to use in this concept manipulation because they are well understood as abstractions, the closest we come to platonic.

What I mean is, I don't think you could find any animal without at least something of an abstractive process soon after birth, as the neurons are connecting. It is part and parcel of any agent that interacts with the world, intelligent or otherwise. Even if we aren't hard wired, we'd see this happen as early as 3 months, and I would guess even earlier. As soon as there is recognition... one month?

Have the studies included babies who are blind and deaf? Even then, after a while they should be able to make the connection that the things they 'touch' can be found in the same place as a few seconds earlier.

This is all speculative. I'll speculate more, but need to run out the door to drive around in a golf caddy all day screaming at old men.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Interbane wrote:I believe every piece of information in our brains is an abstraction. Even if the referent is something concrete, the stored data of that object must be an abstraction of it, a compressed idealized form.
I suppose whether I consider this a viable hypothesis depends on what you mean by "abstraction." Do you lean more toward type and token (identity theory) or anomalous monism as an explanation for what appears to us as the mind-body relationship?
Interbane wrote:What I mean is, I don't think you could find any animal without at least something of an abstractive process soon after birth, as the neurons are connecting. It is part and parcel of any agent that interacts with the world, intelligent or otherwise. Even if we aren't hard wired, we'd see this happen as early as 3 months, and I would guess even earlier. As soon as there is recognition... one month?
Agreed that humans are different in degree rather than different in kind. So what we call abstraction is built from the biological/neurological processes that we share with other life forms on the planet. If what you mean by abstraction is a neural net firing with some regularity then we can agree that all beings with neural nets have abstractions. The question of hard-wiring is probably just a question of when the neural nets are established and how amenable they are to re-wiring as the life-form learns in its pre- and post-birth environments.
Interbane wrote:Have the studies included babies who are blind and deaf? Even then, after a while they should be able to make the connection that the things they 'touch' can be found in the same place as a few seconds earlier.

Damn good question. There was a spate of studies in the 70s and 80s on deaf persons with regard to language and neurology. Much was learned. For example, ASL was "discovered" to be a "real" language. One area of real promise is with intellectually normal deaf adults who grew to adulthood without language. There are many in North America, but most have come here from regions in Middle and South America where they lived as a deaf person in a village with no other deaf people and no signers. I'm fascinated by this, but the population of possible research participants is obviously very shy about being involved in a world they aren't able to "speak to". The one book I have read was a sort-of case study of a deaf adult who was taught to sign. The incredible difficulty of first getting across the concept of word (this is for me an abstraction) as opposed to the object (say clock or apple) was intense. The author describes the student's first moment of understanding. I know a young woman who was deaf and linguistically isolated for the first 4 years of her life. I was there the moment she got the connection between the hand sign and the apple. Never seen anything so wonderful before or since.

Anyway, this last bit goes to the idea that the young girl's conceptual base was clearly present in that she was able to forge the link between sign and object, and it must necessarily be pre-linguistic. So what is that pre-linguistic concept? How is it stored? I suspect it is not just a neural net but a neural net connected and triggered by a series of physical actions in the body and environment. Perhaps like a magnetic field (aka neural net), the iron core (larger body surrounding and feeding the neurons), the local solar emitter (environment forcing adaptation), and the atmosphere (perhaps both the post-somatic structures of culture and shared conceptual abstractions/memes). The thing we call consciousness is probably like aurora borealis - a consequence of the relationship between all of the above and not really either a "type" or a "token".
Interbane wrote:This is all speculative. I'll speculate more, but need to run out the door to drive around in a golf caddy all day screaming at old men.
:lol: jeez where can i get a job like that! I'll volunteer!
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I suppose whether I consider this a viable hypothesis depends on what you mean by "abstraction." Do you lean more toward type and token (identity theory) or anomalous monism as an explanation for what appears to us as the mind-body relationship?
I dislike parts of both. For type physicalism, I can see that certain types of mental states do not necessarily have the same brain states across organisms. Just as two different computer programs can result in the exact same output. What is key is that different methods of storing information can necessarily have the same referent.

For AM, there is no discussion of whether or not we could conceivably formulate a non-brain decryption system that could decode the information our neurons have stored. Such a system would require a far better understanding of the brain than we have(nearly omniscient), but the possiblity exists. Essentially, mental states, although not regulated by strict physical laws, may be regulated some higher order framework that is based on physical laws. In a sense, a "decompression algorithm" that can decrypt brain states to their correlated mind states. We are not even close to such a decryption system.

AM also ignores anything that isn't propositional, such as qualia.

Note that I had to research these concepts after you mentioned them, so I may be missing much of the nuance within the arguments. My use of the word "abstraction" may not hit the mark. Perhaps "information storage" would better suffice. But I also think that our common understanding of abstraction as a salient characteristic(quantity for example) ignores the notion that even nebulous concepts are abstractions of the concrete instances, or of other precursory concepts. It is all information that refers to something else.
Anyway, this last bit goes to the idea that the young girl's conceptual base was clearly present in that she was able to forge the link between sign and object, and it must necessarily be pre-linguistic. So what is that pre-linguistic concept? How is it stored?
If language is a system of embodying concepts and we then store such concepts linguistically in our minds, that does not exclude other forms of embodying concepts. Do deaf people think in terms of signs? Is facial recognition pre-linguistic? The brain state that correlates with the mind state of facial recognition relies on a different method of information compression than the linguistic.

Back to the original discussion where I jumped in (sorry Robert), I dislike the phrase 'hard-wired'. It could be an inevitable consequence of fundamental environmental influences during the earliest stages of mental development, birth though 3 months or so. But such influences would need to be part and parcel of the universe. If math is the grammar of the universe, simply being born into this universe would inevitably result in a basic understanding of quantity. This requires certain parameters in how the brain develops, but is not a phenotypic mental characteristic that can be traced to our genes. A direct gene-to-phenotype process of acquiring understanding is what I understand "hard-wired" to mean. I disagree with that conceptual definition.

Different neural nets and overall brain structure are of course influenced by genetics in placement and function, but the content within these networks is attained from experience. Disambiguating any further seems to be a can of worms. We need more data.
jeez where can i get a job like that! I'll volunteer!
I put on a halloween mask and performed a drive-by scaring of one group on hole 17. A grumpy old lady didn't like the prank and threw her tee at me. But I'm agile and avoided the projectile while speeding away. Don't mess with people while they're on the green, it's sacred ground I guess. I had a blast.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

People can have "Spiritual" experiences without supernatural belief of any kind.

In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:People can have "Spiritual" experiences without supernatural belief of any kind.
Absolutely true. My life is full of it. I have synaesthesia and epilepsy. The pair together seems to have created a royal road to mystical experience and has been doing so since my earliest childhood. I am also an atheist: never believed in god or a second non-energy/material layer of reality. Have you read Marghanita Laski? http://www.amazon.ca/Ecstasy-Secular-Re ... 62&sr=1-29 This book is a bit dry at times but a fabulous study and resource for secular mystics and ecstatics.
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Interbane wrote:I dislike parts of both.
Good answer. For good reasons. I think both systems are missing a fundamental view of matter (as a matter of culturally inherited assumptions) that impacts our ability to properly characterize the nature of materially based and expressed information. In other words, we need a paradigm shift before we're going to catch up to a theory that avoids the pitfalls you mention.
Interbane wrote:My use of the word "abstraction" may not hit the mark. Perhaps "information storage" would better suffice. But I also think that our common understanding of abstraction as a salient characteristic(quantity for example) ignores the notion that even nebulous concepts are abstractions of the concrete instances, or of other precursory concepts. It is all information that refers to something else.
Re information: Have you read Chance and Necessity by Jacques Monod? http://www.amazon.ca/CHANCE-NECESITY-V8 ... 481&sr=1-2 It's a wonderful basic expression of how information is materially expressed and carried at the molecular level. For me, this kind of material information is the basis of how more complex information (such as neurological information) is probably structured, developed and expressed.
Interbane wrote:If language is a system of embodying concepts and we then store such concepts linguistically in our minds, that does not exclude other forms of embodying concepts. Do deaf people think in terms of signs? Is facial recognition pre-linguistic? The brain state that correlates with the mind state of facial recognition relies on a different method of information compression than the linguistic.
Is facial recognition pre-linguistic? Oh yes. And not only human. My local crows recognize my face even though I don't recognize theirs. Do deaf people think in terms of signs? So I understand from conversations with deaf individuals. Some even dream in sign. The interesting thing for me in this is that since space and facial expressions have linguistic content in sign languages, sign languages and spoken languages may have different neurological correlates with respect to the relationship between Broca's (for example) and the areas of the brain responsible for spatial differentiation. This seems to go to the idea that conceptual forms (in the brain) are not identical to linguistic forms as many have previously assumed.
Interbane wrote:A direct gene-to-phenotype process of acquiring understanding is what I understand "hard-wired" to mean. I disagree with that conceptual definition.

Well that would explain why you don't like the term. It's good to talk about terms, yes? Clear's out much potential misunderstanding. I guess for me it isn't just the direct gene-to-phenotype as it is also the environmental processes which click-on and click-off specific aspects of that expression. The resulting being is both the inherited possibility of the total-possible genetic structuring, but also the being is the expression of the decisions that were made via (see Monod) the information hits and misses made as the molecular structures change & expand - stay the same & wither. These choices are as much the resultant phenotype as the original possibility carried in the genetic inheritance. That's what I mean by hard-wired.
Interbane wrote:Different neural nets and overall brain structure are of course influenced by genetics in placement and function, but the content within these networks is attained from experience. Disambiguating any further seems to be a can of worms. We need more data.
Content attained from experience - yes. And molecular decisions. We need more data - absolutely. As above, I also think we need a shift in the way we think about matter - sort of like the shift we experienced when we realized matter was in fact matter/energy.
Interbane wrote:I put on a halloween mask and performed a drive-by scaring of one group on hole 17. A grumpy old lady didn't like the prank and threw her tee at me. But I'm agile and avoided the projectile while speeding away. Don't mess with people while they're on the green, it's sacred ground I guess. I had a blast.
Wonderful! I have a poetics meeting on halloween this year. It's my favourite holiday and poetics is my favourite topic so I should have fun. Might take something to throw at people though. I totally could have been that grumpy old lady. :lol:
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

MaryLupin wrote:Zowee Robert. I'm going to be at this all night if I try to answer all the interesting things you say! I take it you're a Hegel/Heidegger fan.
I find this question of the relation between spirituality and religion very interesting, partly because it relates closely to my studies of the German existentialist philosopher Martin Heidegger. I wrote a Master of Arts Honours Thesis on The Place of Ethics in Heidegger’s Ontology. I must have a somewhat idiosyncratic approach to philosophy, as I find the topics discussed in most analytic philosophy to be dull compared to Heidegger, who engages with big questions regarding the relation between human identity and being as a whole. My thesis is on my website, at link in footer, as is the link to my songs. I did read Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit, but I confess it did not interest me anywhere near as much as Heidegger’s Being and Time. Hegel’s work struck me as a rather fanciful castle in the air, whereas Heidegger is very much grounded in experience.
Heidegger presents what I call a systematic existentialism. What that means is that he starts from logical axioms, and seeks to build a coherent and consistent philosophy upon them, but his axioms are purely existential. One of his key ideas is that human life can be defined as being in the world. Like most good axioms, this idea seems so obvious as to be a tautology, like ‘the universe exists’. But the value of Heidegger’s axiom is that it recognises social reality as primary, and presents the idea of world as a problem, rather than a given. ‘World’ is an objective reality, but it is also something that humans construct, as distinct from physical planet. For example, taking a German translation of a well-known book by Ursula Le Guin, The Word for World is Forest – Das Wort fur Welt ist Wald – we see our context shapes our perception of world, giving us a worldview or paradigm, an enframing sense of meaning.
In terms of the discussion here, this material from Heidegger suggests that spirituality is our personal vision of the world, while religion is a shared vision of the world.
I don't think we construct a "universal idea" based on particular examples. Rather I think we just have this notion of universality that comes from the illusion of a central and singular "I" and that this construct is after-the-fact applied to our individual experiences.
Sorry Mary, but I have to disagree here. Universal concepts in number, physics and ethics are not necessarily illusions, but are often accurate descriptions of reality or valid normative frameworks. We don’t derive universals – shared concepts - from our sense of personal identity, but rather from cultural agreement. We observe things, and continually assess what is the same and different between these things. Over time, we assess that some qualities are always the same, for example geometric ratios and laws of physics, and regard these stable continuous qualities as universal. The content of universals in ethics is far more contestable, in that people sincerely clash over fundamental principles of good, justice, truth and love. But Plato’s view was that philosophy could analyse these differences of opinion in order to understand universal truths in ethics.
In terms of the topic of this thread, what this problem of defining universal ethical truth means is that individuals have a spiritual vision of the good, but often consider that this vision is not shared by any institutional religion, and so reject religion on the basis of its logical, epistemic and ethical weaknesses.
My theory of universals and how they relate to experience is grounded in Heidegger’s observation that time has served as a criterion for demarcation between contingent temporal particular appearance and necessary eternal universal truth. Plato held that philosophy has three subjects, logic, physics and ethics. Each of these original disciplines of Plato’s Academy contains a distinct concept of the eternal. Logical concepts are outside time, physical laws are permanently true within time, and ethical concepts are eternal human values. In each case, temporality provides the basis to understand what is universal behind the things we see.
Yes, there is much delusion in concepts of ego. This is something that I think Heidegger usefully critiqued in his deconstruction of the isolated Cartesian self as the principle of philosophical method. Heidegger’s axiomatic framework was grounded in the reality of being with others in the world, to justify his core idea that care is the meaning of being. The error in Descartes’ theory of the isolated self has been enormously productive for modernity, but at the cost of excluding phenomena such as mood from rational consideration. The methodological error inherent in Descartes’ concept of ego cogito does not mean that Descartes’ universal concepts in mathematics are therefore in error.
Assuming that concepts are built up of the "material" of individual experiences is fundamental to much of Western intellectual and magical history.
I detect some hint of teasing in your reference here to magic, an insinuation that magical ways of thinking are actually far more widespread than is usually understood. And of course religion retains abundant hocus pocus in the hoc est corpus – here is the body. But I flatly disagree that this concept, transubstantiation, is built up out of the material of experience. Rather, it derives from what Kant termed the transcendental imagination, our abstract capacity to imagine a connection between time and eternity, between the contingent and the absolute. So religion derives from a totalising intellectual effort, a desire to have an explanation for everything, and to place our mundane existence within a frame of numinous magic. The tinkling bells are said to make wishes come true, except that the entire fairy story of religion is now widely assessed through a hermeneutic of suspicion.
It is how we seem to experience things, but as Libet (and others) have shown, it appears not to be how conscious concepts actually come to be. If the evidence coming to light is 1) correct and 2) being interpreted correctly (all unknown yet), then this assumed inductive mental process is an illusion that stems from the consequences of our specific form of increasing encephalization. My point is merely that archetypes are illusions in the same way identities are illusions.
To say that identity is illusion can seem almost solipsistic. Personal identity is traditionally defined as soul. Psychoanalysis recognises that self-perception may be false, but nonetheless there is a real personal identity, something that is the same through time, beneath the persona, that can be uncovered through analysis.
It's not that they don't exist but that they are like the surface of the sun. What we see (because of the particular nature of our visual perception limitations) is not the surface of the sun - in fact can we really say the sun has a surface at all? So archetypes are more like words. What "vile" means now when used is not what it would have meant to a speaker of Middle English. Yet we say it is the same word. Is it when it means something so very different now?
Richard Tarnas has an interesting discussion of archetypes as polyvalent and luminous. What this means is that it is sincerely difficult to quantify the deep concepts of identity. For the sun, there is a transition zone between inner heart and outer vacuum, not a single sharp surface. This makes defining an exact boundary point somewhat arbitrary. It is similarly difficult with religious archetypes, where defining the extent to which they derive from various sources is a matter of speculative interpretation. Resurrection as an archetype is grounded in the cyclic structure of the year, but cannot be simply reduced to it. Religious myths engage the great archetypes of human culture. Stories such as the resurrection and the virgin birth are absurd on the surface, but they speak to a deep truth, and it seems to me that is why they have such strong cultural resonance.
King Charles 2 apocryphally described Saint Paul’s as ‘amusing, awful and artificial’ giving high praise to Wren with a Triple A certificate in terms that have since shifted in meaning.
Materialism seems to appear reductive in part because of the notion of matter deeply buried in our cultural assumptions - matter is something passive and not autodidactic. Underlying much of the distress about seemingly reductive materialism is the difficulty in grasping the unbelievable ability of "stuff" to organize itself.
That is a superb point Mary. Time organises itself through matter in the structures of day, month, year and Great Year to be self-teaching – what you call autodidactic. That is a very good way to explain the central evolutionary principle of cumulative adaptation, which creates a natural telos in life, and in all matter for that matter. The assumption of material passivity from Descartes has been central to the scientific disenchantment of the world. Recognising that time is cyclic as well as linear is a key to reenchantment. But engaging with the big cycles of time opens universal concepts that are very far from conventional materialist theories of thought such as mind-brain identity. Rather, mind is embedded in big cultural memes, and as individuals we participate in explaining and giving new life to these memes through the evolution of myth.
One of my favourite examples is the recent discovery that not only do bacteria signal amongst themselves forming a kind of "community" using something called quorum sensing but that bacteria and their hosts use the same methodology to communicate. Molecular shape is information laden.
As an interesting aside, I came across this quorum sensing topic in my study of the potential for large scale algae production at sea. A Chinese colleague suggested we could use genetic engineering to switch off the quorum sensing gene that limits algae growth. I regard such tampering with nature as rather dangerous, and argued that it would be better to enhance algae productivity through conventional plant husbandry of selecting high yield varieties.
That added to environmental conditioning is the engine that drives material change and the increasing complexity of information in the non-living (and living) universe under conditions that allow for relative material stability.
You are right that quorum sensing is a good example of how molecules embed information. All this points to a natural evolutionary spirituality that helps to deconstruct supernatural religious traditions, finding their origins in natural intuitions.
My point here - re the sun - is that this story is another form of information complex held in the material and that this is the limit of its reality. This has much to do with the fact that all humans live under the sun and so we (as material beings) are all impacted by the sun's existence and this "relationship" alters our cellular information in somewhat similar ways. We therefore experience something that appears the same. This kind of information is (for me) different in degree not in kind from the signalling going on between our (also shared/universal) gut bacteria and our digestive systems. Again - here we diverge.
A divergence on such a complex topic can open up space for interesting learning. I remain of the view that human language enabled a phase shift in the evolution of life through a deliberate and intentional conscious connection to the whole of reality, making explicit something that previously was only implicit. Human language is therefore different in kind, not merely in degree, from natural information processes because of the advent of consciousness. With the example of the sun, we have natural cosmic clocks that produce daily cycles such as haemoglobin level. This is usefully described by Gauquelin. But language gives us the ability to quantify, understand and analyse these unconscious biological processes driven by the sun. Language furthermore gives us the ability to place such processes within a systematic understanding of how life on earth relates to the sun as the source of light and life, a key metaphor picked up in John’s prologue. I am particularly interested in how the big cycles of the sun provide an intuitive structure for myth. This becomes a matter of the scientific analysis of archetypes.
Eeeek. I just ran on and on and on. Sorry. Wasn't going to do that. All your fault - you make interesting points.
Thanks again Mary for dropping by at Booktalk.
Link to purevolume please.
http://www.purevolume.com/RobertTulip/albums
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

But I flatly disagree that this concept, transubstantiation, is built up out of the material of experience. Rather, it derives from what Kant termed the transcendental imagination, our abstract capacity to imagine a connection between time and eternity, between the contingent and the absolute.
Part of my problem with your philosophy as times, Robert, is that your chosen language drifts. Most is able to be interpreted objectively, but some is not. Imagining a connection between time and eternity is abstract pattern seeking. Your not really referring to anything, other than an appeal to the shared qualities of two concepts that are already nebulous. My mind doesn't grab onto anything when you mention a connection between time and eternity. The conceptual definitions overlap, sure, but a "connection"? You would have to define what you mean by connection, because it doesn't parse. Is it meant to be explanatory, where there is a neural connection that's made?
Have you read Chance and Necessity by Jacques Monod? http://www.amazon.ca/CHANCE-NECESITY-V8 ... 481&sr=1-2 It's a wonderful basic expression of how information is materially expressed and carried at the molecular level.
Thanks! I love book recommendations on topics that interest me. It seems information can be contained in any system with a small set of laws and a quorum of constituent components. The opportunities are endless at the macro level. At the micro level, the available particle pool to be manipulated are molecules. Perhaps a quorum wouldn't be necessary, as a single particle can hold information, but there must be a method of decryption.
JamesALindsay
Master Debater

Unread post

I'll need more time to get caught up on the full discussion here, but I do like what I've skimmed through (that's full disclosure for now). I want to jump in and say that I'm a big fan of "spirituality" and a rather outspoken atheist, so I see them as compatible. I also see "spirituality" as being an endeavor that is centered upon the brain, changing it in various beneficial ways and accessing various states of consciousness that it can produce, sometimes in loosely predictable ways via specified practices like meditation.

I see it more broadly than that too, though, in that I see it as being almost synonymous with Maslow's "self-actualization" coupled with the above. Any attempt to fully realize ourselves and our relationship to our universe, in a completely not hippy-dippy way, lies under my "spiritual" umbrella, including that awe and appreciation mentioned at the first of the thread and many other things, including the concept of "mindfulness," as it is often called, in thought and action.

Indeed, I find this to be a funny topic after years of working with it because I now see atheism as a better situation to be in if one wants to be "spiritual" than being religious is. Religion is often an impediment to spiritual practices and it limits the kinds of experiences and set of desired outcomes while dragging with a load of baggage that isn't doing anyone any big favors.
Writer, mathematician, Southerner, atheist.
Author of God Doesn't; We Do: Only Humans Can Solve Human Challenges
Or see my blog: God Doesn't; We Do--Blog
God doesn't exist, almost surely.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”