• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

REDdeviant lover of thriller fiction :D

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
REDdeviant
Official Newbie!

REDdeviant lover of thriller fiction :D

Unread post

Hi I'm Rachel! I live in sunny Glasgow, Scotland and I'm a mother, honours year student and I also work in a bar. Readings about the only time I have to myself and I dont know what I'd do without it; I read mostly crime/mystery/thriller fiction. I was just searching for online book communities when I came across Booktalk and I'm hoping to build some new friendships and have some good conversations here!

x
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Re: REDdeviant lover of thriller fiction :D

Unread post

Wow, I'm surprised you have time to read for pleasure! Welcome to booktalk, Rachel.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Hi Rachel, welcome! It does sound like you have a busy life! What sort of crime novels do you read, and what authors? I find it a strangely relaxing genre to read.. I think it's all the puzzle solving, and that usually the bad guy gets caught in the end.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
REDdeviant
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thank you! I read when I go to bed, it does help me to relax and wind down. Authors that I read are Jo Nesbo, Jeffrey Deaver, John Grisham, Katie Lief, Tess Gerritsen, David Baldacci and anything along those lines. What do you enjoy reading Theomanic?
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I'm kind of all over the map! I guess my favourite genre is cyberpunk/sci-fi, but I also like magic realism, mystery, supernatural stuff, and just plain fiction. I think most of the mystery I read these days is along the beach reading sort, like Janet Evanovich or Kathy Reichs. However, I have read a couple from Henning Mankel, a Swedish crime writer. Have you read any of his books? They're not thrillers at all, but they're good mysteries.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
REDdeviant
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think I've heard of Henning Mankel but not read any of his books so I'l look out for him :) I like Kathy Reichs as well, read a few of hers. Do you use bookcrossing? I released a book yesterday for the first time, it was a Mo Hayder one, I'm excited to see where it goes :P
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Have you read The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo books? Swedish crime writers have a certain sort of dispassionate style... Stieg Larsson has that, but Henning Mankell even more so, I think. You either adapt to it or you don't, I think! Another somewhat popular Swedish mystery writer is Camilla Lackberg, whose first novel in her main series is called Ice Princess.

I've not used bookcrossing... I don't know if I could let me books go! I love them so much! And for the very few I hate, I don't want to inflict them on other people. :D
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Hi Rachel and welcome to Book Talk.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Everything Else”