• In total there are 33 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Belief in God

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ginof
Sophomore

Belief in God

Unread post

my favorite thought experiment on the topic is to imagine ET actually arriving and living amoung us. What would he say about our belief in god? Personally, I have a hard time believing that he would be a convert to one of our major religions, with perhaps the exception of budhism. I can see ET's face now: "So, you believe that this person who lived ~2000 years ago is the most powerful being in the Universe. That's really interesting." I think star trek played this out pretty well in several episodes.Suppose ET came to us and said something about our religion that was very negative. What would we do? Would we abandon our thoughts on the topic to a superior being? I doubt it. Much more likely is a lynching.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Belief in God

Unread post

Why don't you lock this thread, Chris? I'd say it's had more than a fair run by now. And then, at least, any discussion about God will be forced into smaller threads, and maybe we'll actually work the post count up on another thread so that the most popular thread in a freethinker's forum isn't always "Belief in God".
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

A long winded thread....I would think that would be right up your alley! I say if people want to post, let them. No reason to lock. But I am partial.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I understand your logic, Mad, but locking threads comes across as censorship.
Keith and Company

Unread post

Quote:Sci Fi is good for exploring the human condition from afar, but in reality, it is all steeped in the human condition. Of course. I said a further step, not the ultimate one. All we can do is frame the questions from a putative alien's point of view.Until an actual alien starts asking real questions, everything humans do is steeped in human nature, pretty much by definition.Of course, the sucky bit will be about six months after we contact an alien species. That's when we'll realize that anything they do write won't be Science Fiction. It won't even be fiction. It'll be nonfiction, probably Op-Ed stuff. Blech.Quote:so that the most popular thread in a freethinker's forum isn't always "Belief in God". Hell, play an alphabet game for that. Or change the name of the first post to reflect the actual nature of the discussion so far.... Keith's Place
Keith and Company

Unread post

Quote:The rapture is REAL and you gonna be REAL SORRY when da good lord takes us GOOD people away and leaves you SINNERS to enjoy sins of the flesh. AND NO YOU CAN"T HAVE MY CADILLAC AFTER THE RAPUTRE. I hope you have your post-rapture checklist handy.My checklist site online overbanded the daily limit, but maybe tomorrow you can start getting ready:elephanticity.250x.com/rapture.htmlStart soon, there's no telling how much time is left! Keith's Place
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

AINT NO TOMARRA U SINNA
Keith and Company

Unread post

Well, golly gee, i hope there's a Monday, at least. That'll be my birthday. Keith's Place
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Hey Keith, you need a "Member Introduction" 'cause that's where this post belongs. I read one of your stories and really enjoyed it. I don't share your particular sexual interest, at least not anymore; but it brought back to mind some of my very earliest sexual fantasies, going back to 3 - 4 years old. I had intense sexual dreams about little women who lived in my toy box. Of course I didn't know exactly what "sexual" meant in those days and added the interpretation later, but the memory of arousal is very clear. If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
Keith and Company

Unread post

Member introduction...right, i'm off. Keith's Place

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”