• In total there are 54 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What Made Today Good

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Olivia22
Freshman

Re: What Made Today Good

Unread post

Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Hi Olivia: Re: Your last two posts... (1) The Presley/Cash/Perkins/Lewis reminded me of a John Denver TV special I saw years ago.. His back-up group: Johnny Cash on guitar, Roger Miller on fiddle, and Glen Campbell on banjo. He called it the "Six Million Dollar Band." :) (2) After viewing the snail photos, I can hardly think kindly of the French again... They EAT these lovely little creatures. :cry:

What made today good for me? Went to my dermatologist for a one-year checkup after he removed a skin cancer from my ear. He said all looked well, and he would see me in a year. :) :)
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

Cattleman I think I saw that John Denver special. They replayed on PBS not too many years ago.
I never thought of the french eating the snails! That makes me sad. I think those pictures are so magical. It gave me a new appreciation for these creatures.

So happy the dermatologist gave you the all clear!
jennyk1991
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

those pictures were pretty. LOVE the colors.
Aomame
Book Nut

Unread post

@cattleman: Congratulations!!

@Olivia: I love the pictures. The snail is so beautiful! Was wondering for a short moment if this is a model snail. *thinking aloud* are there snail castings? Is there an ANTS (American's Next Top(model) Snail?

(goofy day today...)
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Hey, speaking of snails (what amazing photos those are), a friend lent me a small book called The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating, by Elisabeth Tova Bailey. It's a unique story of love: a bedridden woman's relationship with a wild snail that lives in a terrarium by her bedside. Go to the website and hear the sound of the snail as it eats.

http://www.elisabethtovabailey.net/
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

It snowed here in Berryville, VA. I don't mind this extended winter because I love to see weather. I was listening to some Jean Sibelius music as the snow came down. I'm not acquainted with all that much classical music, but I do like the symphonies and other pieces of the Finnish composer. If you like classical music of the Romantic strain, you might like it, too. My favorite is probably No. 2, the Alpine Symphony, inspired of course by the mountains. I have sort-of mountains I can see out my front window.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:It snowed here in Berryville, VA. I don't mind this extended winter because I love to see weather. I was listening to some Jean Sibelius music as the snow came down. I'm not acquainted with all that much classical music, but I do like the symphonies and other pieces of the Finnish composer. If you like classical music of the Romantic strain, you might like it, too. My favorite is probably No. 2, the Alpine Symphony, inspired of course by the mountains. I have sort-of mountains I can see out my front window.
8:46pm - Don't you mean snowing? As in it is still snowing on my side of the mountain and I would think that it is still snowing on your side. And the forecast is for it to keep right on snowing until tomorrow sometime.
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

This is tentative but I think I finished my wedding planning!!!! Yay!!!!

This next bit isn't so much good as it is funny. I don't know if my aunt just got her invitation or if she just looked at it for the first time but she called me today all surprised and disapproving of something we put on the invite. We said that the dress was casual and that people could wear jeans and t shirts if they want. I still have no idea why it bothered her but I know it ticked her off even more when I laughed about it.

Return to “Everything Else”