• In total there are 36 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Things that make me happy

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
mrfallreev
Getting Comfortable

Things that make me happy

Unread post

Hi, my name is John Needham. Long walks on the beach to me means walking all of St Petersburg beach. Not to show off, but to get this tired old body back to the way it was before 63 happened-a crash program if you will. The second reason is to surround myself with as many people of all different types as I can in one day.

I am a writer. I could literally stay at my keyboard all day long, but that would be counterproductive to the realism that I want for inspiration to my imagination. An investment in a bus pass, a bag packed with lunch for the day, and a good book of any kind to keep my mind active until something-anything, reveals itself to me. Here is an example of something I saw on a good day this week while on the move to catch a bus. I saw an older gentleman with a parked pickup truck in front of a yard he obviously had a contract to mow, trim, and care for. The man had a monster generator affixed to the body in the rear of his truck. It was providing enough power to keep his electric mower, blower, trimmer, hedge clippers, edger, and lawn vacuum in electricity. The collection of tools were powered by 3 long extension cords strewn over the yard, one of which he ran over with the lawn mower. Luckily, he did not electrocute himself, leaving me free to laugh to myself as there was no harm done. I keep a notebook in my bag close to my book for such things.

I love to keep up with new movies that come to the theaters. (all of them) I have reward cards for all of them, similar to the cards for any store I enter in order to receive sales prices. I have so many cards in my wallet, when I sit, I list to the left.

When I say I will read any book, maybe that isn't true. Non fiction self help books are something I needed to be reading 20 years ago. It's a little too late now, especially since I am happy the way I am, although a fine cookbook is nice. I like to cook. There is no 'up north' food here in St Petersburg, so I take matters into my own hands. I just finished a book by Kathleen Nance that was my cup of tea.

There isn't enough jazz. Has anybody noticed that? Sixty's through the eighty's rock and roll is fine and dandy, I like it, but a little Jessy J on the alto sax, or Paul Hardcastle is needed nowadays. Moods need both ends to balance.

Well, that's enough to scare you people to death! I'm sorry about that! That is the reason I write.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Re: Things that make me happy

Unread post

Hi John. Nice to know somebody else on here is into Jazz. Inspired by the Beats, I wrote my entire novel listening to Jazz. Sonny Clark, Don Wilkerson, Dave Douglas, Don Cherry, and of course, Coltrane. Great stuff!
mrfallreev
Getting Comfortable

Re: Things that make me happy

Unread post

I wrote a reply post, and i don't think I clicked it right. It disappeared.

Anyhow, I could not agree more. Jazz enhances my moods rather than detracts from it. I came home and recorded the incident about the man with the big generator on the back of his truck, something I found humorous and could twist to my own ends. Jazz in the background kept a smile on my face as I tapped my keyboard. I must appear bonkers laughing to myself as I do it. Thankfully I am alone when doing so.

There is a 4 day local event in October called the Clearwater Jazz Holiday. I made arrangements to stay locally so I don't have to contend with parking, or driving home afterward. A side group that plays every year is from a local high school. The teacher is a jazz aficionado, and a very good influence on her students. It is refreshing to see, and inspiring. Her groups are consistently as enjoyable as any of the scheduled groups. Performers like Paul Brown are really hard to come before. Wouldn't it be wild to have the likes of John Coltrane alive and well at such an event?

Return to “Everything Else”