• In total there are 36 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Hello from Two Mile Ranch

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
FritzNordengren
Getting Comfortable

Hello from Two Mile Ranch

Unread post

Hi all, it's great to find this site and say hello to everyone. I'm Fritz. I have a small farm in southern Iowa where I raise free range and heritage breed poultry. After spending most of my career as a consultant and academic, helping other people tell their stories, I'm telling some of my my own. I spend a lot of time with digital media and have many hours of screen time every day -- so while I read on my tablet, I still love turning physical pages and marking in the margins.
-- Fritz
Iowa Writer's Retreat
www.TwoMileRanch.com
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Hello from Two Mile Ranch

Unread post

Welcome to the community!

Tell us a bit about your writer's retreat. What a great concept. I'm not even aware of writer's retreats existing but what a wonderful idea.
FritzNordengren
Getting Comfortable

Re: Hello from Two Mile Ranch

Unread post

Hi Chris, thanks, I know of others around the country, so I can share both what I know of others and tell a little about Two Mile. Writer's Retreats in general tend to be rural homes, farms, cabins or converted barns -- similar to a bed and breakfast. However, most of them are designed to host one peson at a time or perhaps a few people with lots of space. Not that writer's are anti social but there are times when writing (or editing or proofreading) demands solitude.

Some retreats offer meals, some are also connected to a writer's workshop. Most traditional cabin resorts have a few dozen cabins, maybe shared bathrooms: it's a fun vacation, but maybe not the quiet a writer seeks.

About Two Mile. I bought an abandoned farm and built a dog trot style cabin there and was amazed at the ability to be creative there. The cabin is based on an award winning design by architect Stephen Atkinson and it features two rooms connected with a central breezeway. The total living area is under 650 square feet, but it's a great use of space and has all modern conveniences. It has a private compositing toilet and shower (indoors, no outhouses here) so inaddition to being personal, it is also environmentally green.

The retreat is 80 acres of rolling hills habitat, in a conservation program. I do raise free range and heritage breed poultry, and have a few goats and a horse. The land has two ponds, a pedal boat, hiking trails, and a secluded deck for yoga, reading, napping, or editing. There is a nice 6 burner commercial stove if you like to cook -- and a microwave and freezer large enough for a week's supply of Lean Cuisine.

(Okay, sorry, I sound like an infomercial.)

I typically rent for a week, and my guests can let me know how often they want me to come by to talk, answer questions or just stay the heck away.

if Iowa is too far to travel, please contact me and I can suggest a few others in nearby states.
-- Fritz
Iowa Writer's Retreat
www.TwoMileRanch.com

Return to “Everything Else”