• In total there are 9 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

My name is Deval, and I just published my first piece: Downfall

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
authordeval
Official Newbie!

My name is Deval, and I just published my first piece: Downfall

Unread post

Hello there. I don't know why I've never found this site before, but I'm glad that I have. I'm...new at introducing myself. Kinda comes with the territory of being introverted. I am a 28 year old veteran, divorced father of two, and dedicated to telling my story to others with the hope that maybe my own mistakes will help others in avoiding them and perhaps learning from them. I am currently penning a memoir, which I host for free on my site until completion, and then I will take it down for editing and getting it ready for publication.

That said, I'm sure you've noticed the subject - yes, I recently completed my first publication. It's actually two chapters from the memoir that I'm writing. They had been so well-regarded that I figured I'd publish those on Amazon and start getting some interest in it. Hopefully, it is successful. If not, hey, I can still call myself a published author :)
mrfallreev
Getting Comfortable

Re: My name is Deval, and I just published my first piece: Downfall

Unread post

I too am in a bubbling cauldron of trial and error. I personally like your approach to starting out, please stay with it. Even at my age, (over twice yours), I am learning as I go.
Introverted I am not. Ignored would be more apt to why I write. On my website, I have tried to keep things light and easy. Like you, it was my thought to instigate thought, and on the side, entertain. It was my hope that if what was read was enjoyed, the reader would click into my book website posted there to get more. So far, in 6 days of being up and running, I have had 350 hits from out of nowhere. I think I might be more excited about the website, than the book! I advertised here, something I highly suggest. I am not particularly good at hitting the road to promote myself, so I do what I can. I thought to post my blog website link here, which is the reason I logged in. but am reluctant. The only reason I can give why is just a feeling that I am I'm not supposed to. I saw your post, and responded instead.
Anyway, this reply is an effort to encourage you.
authordeval
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thanks. I don't want to go through the tried-and-true process of finding an agent and waiting in hopes that I get a response. I'll probably do that when I finish the memoir itself, but in the meantime, all I'm trying to do is show strangers my story and why it needs to be something that everybody can learn from, no matter what. It's a huge gamble, but I've already hit my personal life goal of being published...even though it's just a short short story.
mrfallreev
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I feel exactly the same way about achieving that personal goal. On my end, I get little encouragements. Somehow, when my book is searched next to my name, book stores all over the world have included my title for sale. Some woman overseas somewhere, pinned my book as an up and coming independent author. But I still haven't received one royalty. I went on Amazon, and I did not see your name after the title-Downfall. I wanted to check it out, and possibly encourage you more. Tell me what to look for. And by the way...I have no agent myself, outside of my publisher that is. I DID have offers after the fact. I have a place now that can work for either one of us in the future, if you are interested in investigating it. I plan to use the source on a book of short stories I wrote.
authordeval
Official Newbie!

Unread post

My author name is Deval Lee. It should pop up if you type that in.
christopheranton
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

You did exactly the right thing. Dive in at the deep end and self publish. I wish you every success.
Are you going to serialise the rest of your story? That would be a good idea.

Controversial and occasionally annoying author, (but with a heart of purest lead).
http://goo.gl/ckqfk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... pp_rt#tags
Controversial and occasionally annoying author, (but with a heart of purest lead).
http://goo.gl/ckqfk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... pp_rt#tags
mrfallreev
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I read your dissertation. Keep at it! Your cry out to be able to vent openly, I believe it will make you stronger in the end, but I will not comment on because I am far from being an expert, except to say all of us have made mistakes. When you live as long as I, you will have forgotten a lot of them as you move on. Nowadays (as in my website) my observations are hidden between lines of fiction. I invite you to amuse yourself on it and allow me to demonstrate my very own method venting (that is not to say my method is the least bit therapeutic, but it makes me feel good!)
www.johnneedham.org
authordeval
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Eventually, I will have the whole thing published. For now, I'm just hosting the rest of the memoir for free - just because I'm still working on it, and because a lot of my close friends want to know what exactly happened in my life. Hopefully, their word of mouth is strong enough to start getting this memoir out there. The full memoir itself is my main concern.

I did try venting through blogs, but it didn't really serve much for me other than being angry. So, writing this lets me relive everything and get a sense of closure as I go through each important moment in my life.
mrfallreev
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

After reading it, I understand completely. I will look forward to future installments, and that is just what you have in mind. I salute you in your efforts, skill, and to get closure. I think you have already succeeded, especially if your friends and readers (and there are plenty of them) can identify the things you are sharing. I sense you have already grown by leaps and bounds. (I WILL talk you up)
My style of vent stems from my liking to talk. I too was quite the introvert for most of my life. When I finally starting talking, I found that nobody wanted to listen. I am not an angry man, but I surely didn't know what to do. So now I write as a sort of self preservation. My novel is from my soul. My blog is an attempt to cultivate my funny ideas, and see if people will enjoy them. (I still don't know!) I have a book of short stories that is an experiment to see if I can force readers to get swallowed up in my imagination.
Like you, I have no clue if I will be well received or not, but am going to do it anyway, because this is MY method of keeping myself together.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”