• In total there are 79 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 78 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Feeling New to the publishing and ad world

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
CansoH49
Official Newbie!

Feeling New to the publishing and ad world

Unread post

Hello to anyone! I found this website on a list of 45 ways to advertise a book. I'm the new girl in the forum. I published my first ebook last year and haven't had the money to advertise it well. I am ready to do so soon through my ebook publisher. What advice can you give me regarding this topic? There are so many options.

I live in Colorado and have lived in New York and New Mexico. However, I enjoy visiting all the western states as well as those I haven't been to yet, which are Utah, and Montana. I really want to go to each of these places. My husband loves photography and so do I.

My interests lie with xeric gardening, study of the ocean, ancestry, and reading / writing historical fiction. Are any of you avid gardeners? Has anyone written a gardening book? I'd love to hear from you!
How many of you live out west, by the way? I retired from teaching ten years ago and planted a large garden with plants that thrive in the heat and drought. It has taken me ten years to get my garden to look the way I want it. I have roses that perfume the air and a brilliant red "brake light" yucca, which I love seeing thrive.

Thanks for reading this post, and I hope to get to know you all better.
Ermentrude's Knot
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Feeling New to the publishing and ad world

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :-)

I'm not an avid gardener but my wife and I are attempting to grow roses and some different herbs. We have cilantro, Greek oregano, mint, basil and a huge rosemary plant.
imagexposed
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Hello. I would say be sure to have an ebook version of whatever you do. Print seems almost dead in my experience. Do an ebook version and get on Amazon Kindle.
The End Always Justifies the Means.
http://morawski1.com
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I think you're right. I don't buy print books anymore.
CansoH49
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I agree that ebooks are the way to go. That's why I published mine this way. Yet, there are many people who don't read ebooks. They prefer the hands on method. According to a publisher, 50% of readers still prefer a hard copy. I read both ways. My daughter and her husband bought me a Kindle Fire.

So are you all living in different parts of the country? I grew herbs in pots, but it's so dry here that after one season, they dried up. The sage lived through one winter and then never returned. I thought that was amazing.

I have one cascading ornamental oregano plant in my garden, along with coral penstemon, the brake light yucca, purple salvia and veronica, turkish creeping veronica, winecups, lilies, lavender, thyme, lambs ears, red hen and chicks, yellow Gazanias, sedums, roses (pinwheel, Disneyland, Hot Cocoa, and Honey Perfume), along with about thirty more varieties of perennials. These are all xeric and can withstand drought, hot sun, and low fertilizing.

My neighbors stop by to comment on my garden, and they say they hope to plant one when they retire. I enjoy visiting gardens when I travel. The amazing gardens I've seen were the Mendocino gardens, and the Shore Acres gardens in California and Oregon. I used to live in New York a long time ago, and visited many fabulous gardens at the various estates, such as Vanderbilt. Gardens are like friends. The more varieties, the more interesting.
Ermentrude's Knot
SarahKRose
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I've still got to finish my 3rd from a trilogy and then edit. I'm really nervousness about publishing because apparently it's the hardest part of it all. I have no idea how I'm going to promote my books, I'm putting them on amazon. Do you know if there's any online sites that promote for you?
CansoH49
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi Sarah, I know places will promote you if you publish withthem, but they all charge a fee. I found out that this site offers reviews of your book and will promote your book for any amount of time you are willing to pay for, but ebookit ebookit charges a few hundred hundredfor decent publicity. You have to search around online to find the best deal.
Ermentrude's Knot
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

BookTalk.org doesn't currently offer book reviews, CansoH49.
SarahKRose
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I had no idea how hard this was going to be

Return to “Everything Else”