• In total there are 39 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Unread post

My first two choices are:
1. Deepest Doors by Paul Winters, a mystery and suspense novel. See description above.
2. Desire and Red Wine, A Life's Journey by Victoria Norvaisa, a WWII romance novel. See descrption above.
Let's choose/explore some new writers, instead of going with the already established ones.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Unread post

calaf68 wrote:I am willing to partake in discussions and questions about my novel and writing. The novel is Tempesta's Dream - A Story of Love, Friendship and Opera. It is the story of an aspiring opera singer growing up in Milan. It is part love story, part coming of age, and part historical.

It is available in both Print and as an Ebook at numerous outlets.

It has a 4.75 review average at Amazon. It has a 4.5 review average at Goodreads. It topped an Amazon top 10 best selling list for World literature, where it is currently sitting at number 9.

Here is the link to Amazon to see some reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Tempestas-Dream-V ... rds=lococo

Thanks.
Whenever an author of a good selling book offers to discuss it on line it will be worth it, and Tempesta's Dream has good statistics and an interesting plot. I particularly like the theme of the mentor, and the question of how singers succeed in a cut-throat industry. I thought about making a career as a classical guitarist, but largely gave music up for philosophy and economic development for the poor. My daughter's singing teacher has some hair-raising tales about the factors that trump technical excellence in getting to the top in classical music.

The other good option we have so far is Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, which should definitely be picked soon, if not this time, in my opinion. I loved it when I read it back in the 70s.
calaf68
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

My second choice would be Desire and Red Wine as I like the description and the time period.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Sorry, Chris - just haven't been around lately. Y'know how it is - life gets in the way.

Anyway, I have been reading a lot - especially audio versions.

Here are 3 recent reads:

The Light Between Oceans - M. L. Stedman

The Day the Falls Stood Still

And the Mountains Echoed - Khaled Hosseini (Kite Runner author)

I'll try to spend more time here.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I read "Light Between Oceans" - I would not recommend it. Sad story, people face terrible moral dilemmas, which they are unable to solve realistically...just my opinion, of course...
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Tempesta's Dream is superlative, spellbinding, wonderful, full of the drama and people and music and places and struggle and love and learning of the opera of Milan. Tempesta's Dream would itself make an opera worthy of its rich tradition, introducing the triumphant art form in a complex human story of love, jealousy, vision and talent. The burning ambition of Giovanni Tempesta is to rise from humble constraints to become a world-renowned tenor. Against her father's opposition, Giovanni woos the hand of the beautiful Isabella in a true meeting of hearts. Giovanni's teacher the blind singer Alfredo shares his passionate dream of the stage at La Scala. Can Giovanni achieve what cruel fate robbed from Alfredo? Will the rich and powerful judge prevent his ravishingly gorgeous daughter from marrying Giovanni, the love of her life? Will the forces of destiny ensure that true love and the gift from God of a voice of gold will emerge victorious?
StephenPByers
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I'm afraid Stranger in A Strange Land is out of my genre. The excerpts suggest the author has teriffic imagination, but I find other world characters outside mt area of interest.
Stephen P. Byersr
"Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God that shall be better than light and safer than a known way." (Minnie Louise Haskins (1875-1957)
StephenPByers
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I am anxious and happy to increase my participation in the BookTalk Forums. I am a new member this year, have posted summaries of each of my six books on the site and would be honored and delighted were one of them selected for discussion on the Fiction Forum. Of the six books, I rate Goad of Honor the best. A great story about a four-generation dynasty created by a German immigrant about 1850 and how the great-grandson uncovers the illegal operations during the 1920-33 prohibition era.

This is a story of subterfuge, murder and atonement; how lawyer Ernest Quigley seizes upon an opportunity to amass enormous wealth through illegal whiskey production at Kellermann's Distilled Spirits, Inc., during prohibition. The embarrassment caused to a wealthy aristocratic German family by the birth of an illegitimate son in the first half of the nineteenth century was concealed by rearing him as their own. Raised in the traditions of nobility by the well-to-do family, he escaped to America with one-third of his mother's large estate soon after her death, bringing a new identity, passing to his alleged descendants a pretense of European magnanimity. Ninety years later, his supposed great grandson, Jakob Kellermann IV, age 25, thrust into ownership of the family enterprise, searches to uncover the mysterious history about his ancestors and the unexplained expatriation of the founder of the family enterprise. Hovering in the background, Ernest Quigley manipulates the Kellermann dynasty for his own benefit.
Behind the scene, Sophie Kellermann, Jakob IV's wife, goads her husband into action, steering the ship of fate away from the troubled shores towards a safe haven far from the turmoil of the prohibition upheaval.

The story received an excellent review that appears on the ShopTalk.Org site in the Fiction Book Forum. It is available on Amazon in paperback or ebook formats.

As to the other suggestions I have seen so far my vote would be;
First choice: Deepest Doors:
Second: Tempesta's Dream
"Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God that shall be better than light and safer than a known way." (Minnie Louise Haskins (1875-1957)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

As of right now I don't feel we're ready for a poll or selecting a fiction book. From years of experience we just don't yet have any books that have generated enough interest.

"Tempesta's Dream" is our best bet but we only have 5 people expressing interest. And out of the 5 we have the author of the book and then 2 other authors who really are primarily interested in their own books being discussed. Will these 2 authors actually buy and participate in a discussion of Tempesta's Dream? (Crystalline and StephenPByers)

If we look at the two remaining potential participants we have Robert Tulip and heledd. But Robert Tulip is also planning to lead the discussion for another book discussion that will run concurrently. Robert, can you see yourself reading and discussing both books concurrently?
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Oh dear! We cant be the only two people in the world wanting to read this book!
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”