• In total there are 30 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Mike C
Getting Comfortable

Re: WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Unread post

I'm a little biased of course, but I would like to recommend Route 66: The last Mile, a story about a road trip two men never completed and then are compelled to come back 30 years later to finish. It will leave you laughing so hard you're ribs will ache one moment and scare the hell out of you the next. If Kerouac's "On the Road", with a dash of Don Quixote, turns your crank then get a good grip on that steering wheel because Route 66: The Last Mile is an "A" ticket ride across America!

Cheers

Mike Clarke
heledd
Doctorate

Re: WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Unread post

Oops Mike C, at just over £1 on Kindle I couldn't resist
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
jayerothman
Official Newbie!

Unread post

If the group wants to read something completely new and different
what about
The Hell Of Osirak.
This is based on a true story Operation Opera. It's set in 1981, and it's a panoramic espionage novel set across 5 countries. It's an action, thriller and has a same sex romance.
The author will happily participate in any discussions.
Check out the reviews on Good Reads and Amazon.
StephenPByers
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Chris, I simply assumed having indicated two choices that should one of them be selected it would be incumbent upon me to purchase, read and participate in the forum discussion. In the event some book other than one of those two already mentioned, I would reserve the option of considering the genre and subject matter before committing to participate. For instance science fiction is out of my range of reading or intelligently commenting. Stephen
"Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God that shall be better than light and safer than a known way." (Minnie Louise Haskins (1875-1957)
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

At this point, I am willing to buy and comment on any book you select. Yes, even science fiction. Ouch, did I really just say that :)? Yes, I did. I think it's time for Chris to make a decision/selection. We now have 8 choices; you will never get everybody to agree on one book.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I heard an interview with Pat Conroy earlier today and his new book sounds interesting. Unfortunately at least one BookTalk member has experienced similar abuse, so it might not be appropriate.

The Death of Santini by Pat Conroy
http://www.patconroy.com/the-death-of-santini.php

NYT review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/books ... ted=1&_r=0

CNN review:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/26/living/pa ... ini-books/
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

LanDroid, we're currently looking for fiction suggestions in this thread. "The Death of Santini" appears to be a memoir and that would be non-fiction.
Mike C
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I have some knowledge of the subject and have to agree that "The Death of Santini is a memoir not a work of fiction. Nevertheless, although it doesn't fit this thread, it should have a place on everyone's reading list.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Oooops! Minor detail, sorry 'bout that! :cry:

I'd read the Heinlein and possibly Tempestra's Dream.

If you're still looking for suggestions, here's one about folks willingly giving up all privacy to the world’s most powerful internet company.

The Circle, by Dave Eggers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038535 ... HWK55XCGG2

Goodreads reviews:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18302455-the-circle

NYT Review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/04/books ... .html?_r=0
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

"The Circle" would be interesting and relevant to today's computerized world...many different aspects influencing people's lives could make for an interesting discussion.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”