• In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Creative Writing: My Lifeblood

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
StephenPByers
Almost Comfortable

Creative Writing: My Lifeblood

Unread post

“Bon Jour.” My name is Stephen P. Byers; my moniker is bbbwrite. Born in the Province of Quebec, Canada. an environment of two languages, I greet you with the French salutation I think imparts more “joie de vivre” than the mundane English translation. As I matured in this milieu, I discovered I was the product of two extraordinary people. My mother imbued me with her great worry that she would awaken some morning with nothing to do. If she had a spare moment, she would knit, so proficiently she could read and knit at the same time. Father, imbued me with a sense of history in storytelling terms. “If your mother goes to bed at night with a ball of yarn, she awakes in the morning with a pair of socks.” Alas, the day came when they passed on, Father at age 63, Mother at 74, both from cardiovascular causes, as did all the the other members of their generations on both sides of the family. As you might suppose approaching my retirement years, I wondered how I might circumvent a similar demise. Indeed, I succeeded, finding the key to longevity—at age 74 I took up creative writing. Each morning thereafter I have arisen with more to do in the day than I can possibly accomplish in a week. I recently celebrated my 89th birthday, despite the waters in my fountain of youth running low in the form of old age and evaporating gently in the form of memory loss. But I toil on until the morning I arise when I have nothing to do, or I am incapable of doing what I have to do, and then I shall go quietly and join my parents.
"Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God that shall be better than light and safer than a known way." (Minnie Louise Haskins (1875-1957)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Creative Writing: My Lifeblood

Unread post

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the community. :-)

I can see how creative writing could be a factor in ones personal happiness, health and longevity. It is very impressive and inspirational to hear that you took up creative writing at 74 years old. And even more impressive is that you're still writing and wanting to share your passion for the written word with others.

We're honored to have you with us here on BookTalk.org.
LyndaO
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Glad to meet you, Stephen.
I came to writing late as well but began to love reading shortly after my birth.
I wonder why I didn't think of writing for so many years -- busy, I guess.

Honored indeed,
KoolDanny
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hello Stephen.

It sounds like you had a very impressionable and well-nurtured childhood, many thanks no doubt to your parents' efforts. You have a very expressive and clear writing style. I can almost hear your voice and it's phrasing as I read your entry. Just goes to show that the muses can steal and inspire anyone's inner passions regardless of age.

Pleased to meet you, mon ami.
StephenPByers
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

TO: KoolDanny

It's 9:30 AM on Sunday morning, December 29. As is my wont, I wandered around my computer checking email, sending a tweet or two, looking for inspiration. I happened into BookTalk.Org because I could not recall the words of my introductory message, thinking they might be of some use in a new biographical essay I intend to write. And there, I found your rewarding response. I think perhaps in this ethereal world of instant communication we may have forgotten the graciousness of face-to-face communications my mother taught to me. Thus, I'm inspired to tell you how heartwarming I found your response, ashamed that I have tarried so long in expressing my appreciation.

Sincerely,
Stephen P. Byers
"Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God that shall be better than light and safer than a known way." (Minnie Louise Haskins (1875-1957)

Return to “Everything Else”