• In total there are 28 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Mike C
Getting Comfortable

Re: WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Unread post

Authors always like to get a mention of their book whenever they get a chance, see attached link, but I would like to suggest in this case a book by Damon Knight titled "A For Anything". It's science fiction but it is, from what I can remember, a good read.

"The author postulates the discovery, in the near future, of the "Gismo", a device that can duplicate anything—even another Gismo. Since all material objects have become essentially free, the only commodity of value is human labor, and the author suggests that a slave economy would be the inevitable result."

The story is an excellent social commentary on the effects of unchecked technology, and at 160 pages it's an easy read.

For further details Google "A For Anything" and go to its Wiki site.

http://route66thelastmile.blogspot.ca/
Last edited by Mike C on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike C
Getting Comfortable

Re: WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Unread post

I would like to suggest a book by Damon Knight, "A For Anything", it's an excellent blend of the effects of unchecked technology on society and social commentary.
The author postulates the discovery, in the near future, of the "Gismo", a device that can duplicate anything—even another Gismo. Since all material objects have become essentially free, the only commodity of value is human labor, and the author suggests that a slave economy would be the inevitable result.
At 160 pages it is an easy and enjoyable read, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_for_Anything.

Of course every author likes to put in a plug for his own work when he has a chance so I'm also recommending Route 66: The Last Mile, which is also a great read, http://route66thelastmile.blogspot.ca/.

"My apologies for the double entry, I thought the first attempt didn't succeed, so I resubmitted."
Last edited by Mike C on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenPByers
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I've responded and made my choices known. I'll participate in any choice except science fiction or other specialty genres about which I know nothing. I like books related to history, crime, family etc.but not what I call the far out weirdo stuff.
"Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God that shall be better than light and safer than a known way." (Minnie Louise Haskins (1875-1957)
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I'm waiting for a decision, so I can order the book and start reading :).
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I've learned not to be fussy. As my friend said, if you are hungry, you will eat anything. So it is with me and books
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Coming soon....
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Tempesta's Dream will be our next fiction selection. I'll create the forum later tonight. ;-)
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Ordered "Tempesta's Dream" today from Amazon. Should arrive next week. Hoping this book is a good read :)!

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”