• In total there are 16 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Unread post

geo wrote:Interesting post, Gnostic. It should be obvious to see how religion has been used to promote in-group mentality which promoted solidarity (but at the exclusion of the out-group). The belief that God is on our side, not yours. I think that mindset is increasingly at odds in the modern world and with science.
Indeed. That is why I show this clip often to remind people of that day and the Dark Ages and Inquisition that that thinking produced.

Somehow the literalists did not learn their lesson yet as the fools still exist in large numbers.

That aside.

We are finding out that all Gods are less fit to rule men than a man.

Pure Gnostic thinking is becoming fashion.

BASIC BELIEFS OF A TRUE GNOSTIC
1. The only proper religion for mankind is humanity itself, for it is from this humanity that God first evolved.
God, who is our future, came from humans, who are Their past.

2. God is a glorified and exalted human being

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

DWill wrote:My impression (for what such a thing is worth) is that gnosticism is no refuge for the more rationally-minded. Taken as a whole, would it be fair to say that the writings known as gnostic and not given the imprimatur of the Church contain a bewildering variety of mystical and supernatural statements? There might be the advantage DL cites, of greater acceptance of diversity, but there could also be a drawback that limits the relevance of these writings in the 21st C.
Absolutely since much of the original theology was burned at the same time as Christianity decimated us.

That is why we have changed many of the beliefs that the ancients held. As a thinking persons religion, we ere encouraged to embrace anything new and worthy. Religions and Gods are allowed to modernize. And when they do not, as we can see, we end with ancient barbaric prick Gods instead of good Gods.

For one example or modernizing, if we had know about evolution back then, we likely would not have invented the demiurge to explain people to people evil. Evolution and the fact that we must compete for resources explains evil quite well. There is even a branch of Evolutionary Theology which we buy into without any problem.

Regards
DL
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Thanks. What claim to the word Christianity do you or others in your group make? I assume gnosticism is totally divorced from any notion of a historical Jesus, so I'm curious as to the basis for keeping the "brand name."

I think that comparing gnosticism to Christianity is not really apples to apples; that is, supposing gnosticism could have arisen in place of what became the central church appears to miss the fact that had this happened, gnosticism would have had to undergo the many changes that come along with consolidation. Who knows what might have been the final product? If gnosticism by its nature could not have survived under the forces of institutionalization, that alone explains why it didn't win the historical battle.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:For one example or modernizing, if we had know about evolution back then, we likely would not have invented the demiurge to explain people to people evil. Evolution and the fact that we must compete for resources explains evil quite well. There is even a branch of Evolutionary Theology which we buy into without any problem.
So the gnostics invented the demiurge you say? And with evolution the demiurge becomes a nonentity as gnosticism evolves. I see,thanks.
I do wonder how belief in traditional gnosticism squares with naturalistic materialism and scientific cosmology as beings such as the demiurge and archons are involved in the former.

And since Bishop abolishes these beings and it seems has no idea who wrote the four gospels, I wonder just what he bases his beliefs on. Is it the gnostic gospels or something else? Maybe you can tell us,Bishop.

Elaine Pagels presents a particular version of history sympathetic to the gnostics and contrary to the usual reading of this history.

So what's this all about? Here's an article from a Christian perspective looking at gnosticism and the gnostic Jesus.
http://www.equip.org/articles/gnosticis ... ian-books1
Last edited by Flann 5 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

and it seems has no idea who wrote the four gospels,
but Flann, who does? are you holding out on us bud? spill the beans if you know.
Elaine Pagels presents a particular version of history sympathetic to the gnostics and contrary to the usual reading of this history.
Elaine is far from alone in this.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

youkrst wrote:Quote:
and it seems has no idea who wrote the four gospels,

but Flann, who does? are you holding out on us bud? spill the beans if you know.
I'm trying to find out what Bishop bases his beliefs on. I have good reasons I think for my beliefs about who wrote the gospels and when.
It's late here now so maybe another time I'll give a detailed answer to your question.
In the meantime I have to mug an old lady as I compete for resources.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

This interview with Timothy Freke, co-author with Peter Gandy of The Jesus Mysteries and Jesus and the Lost Goddess, includes this key statement regarding Gnosticism: (4:30) “Once I got over the shock that the most famous man who ever lived didn’t, what I found was that there is this incredible depth of mystical wisdom available through the Western tradition that I hadn’t been able to see before… The Gnostics are carrying the real tradition, the literalists are an imitation church… The Jesus story is allegory with serious political overlays… we’ve been caught up in false memory syndrome… honour the Gnostic thread to create a more loving and more unified world”
Gnostic Bishop wrote: The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded
This talk starts out by referring to Jesus of Nazareth, even though evidence suggests Nazareth did not exist in the early first century. Rene Salm argues persuasively in The Myth of Nazareth: The Invented Town of Jesus that Nazareth was named after Jesus the Nazarene, and did not exist at the time of Christ. My view is that Nazareth was invented to provide plausible deniability for Gnostic Christians who were under persecution from Rome, in order to deny membership of the proscribed Nazarene Gnostic sect. The archaeology of Nazareth strongly supports this claim of its establishment well after Christ. There has been nothing found in Nazareth dated to Hellenistic times before 100 AD, when Jews moved there following the Roman obliteration of Israel and Jerusalem. Only when Empress Helena asked to see the Potemkin Nazareth in the fourth century did the locals oblige with Jesus sites so the Christendom myth could be manufactured. The leading Christian theologian Origen lived in the second century in a town near Nazareth but did not know where it was.

Even Jesus the Nazarene is almost certainly an ideal myth, an invented fictional character designed as avatar of the Age of Pisces, as argued especially by Frank Zindler and DM Murdock. This ideal makes complete sense of the pre-existent Logos, given that astronomers could see the movement of the spring point towards Pisces for hundreds and probably even thousands of years before Christ.
Movie Nerd wrote: If I may, I would like to ask for some more texts I could look at to support your claim here.
There are several claims in my quoted post:
Robert Tulip wrote:Don't take the Book of Acts at face value. It should be considered as fiction.
Richard Carrier’s new book On The Historicity of Jesus, Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt, includes a chapter on Acts as Historical Fiction. Earl Doherty’s excellent book Jesus Neither God Nor Man goes through the contradictions between Acts and the Epistles of Paul.
Robert Tulip wrote:Saint Peter is presented as a Stalin-like demagogue. When Ananias refuses to give up his money Peter curses him and he dies. That is the totalitarian tyranny which results from the alleged primitive communism of the early church. quote="Acts 5:3-5"
That is my personal view about Peter. I am particularly interested in Orwellian analysis of how modern communism based its methods and structures on the Roman Catholic Church. The terror that Peter strikes into the community is very similar to Stalin’s dogma of the liquidation of the kulaks as a class in this case.
Robert Tulip wrote: Acts is shoddy propaganda aimed to destroy memory of the Gnostic origins of the Christ Myth. The primitive communism of the pentecost community is presented as unsustainable against the need to mobilise an institutional hierarchy of orthodox bishops and priests.
Freke and Gandy are among the best writers on this theme of the evolution of Christianity from enlightened Gnostic wisdom to political Orthodox conformity. Also, while The Gnostic Paul by Elaine Pagels is careful to avoid overtly political claims, it presents a strong case that Paul wrote at two levels, esoteric and exoteric, and that the exoteric reading became the authorised exclusive interpretation for Orthodox faith. The Christ Conspiracy by Acharya S is an excellent analysis of the early church, but was an early work for which a revised edition is planned.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote: So what's this all about? Here's an article from a Christian perspective looking at gnosticism and the gnostic Jesus.
http://www.equip.org/articles/gnosticis ... ian-books1
I'd read Pagels' book years and years ago, so I was glad to be able to review the basics of the topic by reading the article, which was an even-handed treatment. Gnosticism seems pretty hard to pin down, to say the least, so I can imagine that people must be able to make of the beliefs just about anything they're inclined to.

Interesting that Jesus is apparently real in the gnostic writings, that is, not merely a myth. I wonder how mythicists deal with that.
Last edited by DWill on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Note how they were quick to kill off the one sect that remained Universalist. Christianity and Constantine decided that free thinking was not to be allowed. They tried to kill it for 1,000 years but it failed. Except for the Abrahamic cults. Christianity and Islam.

Regards
DL
In my experience, any dogmatic belief, whether political, religious, or simply a belief in a favorite ball, is strong enough to suppress dissent.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

DWill wrote:

Code: Select all

Thanks. What claim to the word [i]Christianity[/i] do you or others in your group make?
It is historically recognized that the Christianity of today as well as the Catholicism of the ancients are offshoots of the original Christianity which was Gnostic Christianity. Christianity began as a thinking man's religion and not the brain killing literalism that Christianity became. Christians of course do not agree.
I assume gnosticism is totally divorced from any notion of a historical Jesus, so I'm curious as to the basis for keeping the "brand name."
Because the hero of our myths is the Jesus archetype. We see Jesus as a Hero of 1,000 Faces, as Joseph Campbell does.

If there was a historical Jesus then in our traditions, we have him as a gifted Rabbi and husband to Mary of Madeleine. At least that is what I get from what the Christians did not burn of our scriptures.
I think that comparing gnosticism to Christianity is not really apples to apples; that is, supposing gnosticism could have arisen in place of what became the central church appears to miss the fact that had this happened, gnosticism would have had to undergo the many changes that come along with consolidation.

No. We would not have had to kill as Christianity did because we were not and are not literalists. It is Christian literalism that ushered in the Dark Ages and Inquisition.
Who knows what might have been the final product?
A non-misogynistic world where women would have been granted equality by men.
If gnosticism by its nature could not have survived under the forces of institutionalization, that alone explains why it didn't win the historical battle.
It could and would have done whatever was required to maintain itself. Ours would have just not forced the adherent to bow to men instead of God.

Regards
DL

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”