• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Eye of The World by Robert Jordan

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Rin1221
Getting Comfortable

The Eye of The World by Robert Jordan

Unread post

Just started the Wheel of Time Series and so far I am really enjoying it! only 3 chapters in... but hey, it is off to a great start :)
Have quite the journey ahead of me.. with 14 books in the series.
Very excited though! :D
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The Eye of The World by Robert Jordan

Unread post

I started them years ago, before the series was finished, and had to stop as I waited for him to write more. Rather than pick it back up as he wrote them, I moved on to other books.

Just recently, I decided to start them again, this time on audio book since I commute an hour a day. I realize the style of authors has changed a lot in the last 2 decades. Jordan's style is a bit diluted, not as evocative as newer fantasy writers. But still a great series. I'm on book 5 atm.

Post your thoughts here as you go along, Rin. Or questions, if you have them.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

I tried reading Jordan's continuation of the Conan the Barbarian series and couldn't hack it. He couldn't compare to Howard in prose style in my opinion. I don't know about the Wheel of Time.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Don't forget "A New Spring," prequel novel to the series. I read (okay, I cheated, listened to it as an audio book) a couple of years ago.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

I think I'll try reading his books again. Frankly outside of Howard and Tolkien I have a hard time with fantasy. Most of it is boring to me.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
MikeRConwell
Official Newbie!

Unread post

It is an interesting book, I have read it. Please complete the book you will find it really enjoying when you will read it completely.
EDU Libs | An educational Library for everyday use =====>> https://edulibs.org/
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Jordan's prose does feel watered down compared to newer fantasy authors. Try Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn if you want more fast paced modern fantasy, it's a great trilogy.

I'm currently on book 8 of the wheel of time. Slowly but surely I'm moving through them. Book 6 is one of my favorites so far.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

i started reading this series in the late 90s and also had to wait for them to finish out.

It's a good series with interesting ideas, though there are some things that bothered me.
The world building is solid and there are some good turns in there, that if you are paying close attention, i think you could have guessed ahead of time.

George Martin has said that a couple of fans have apparently guessed a couple of really big spoilers to his Song of Fire and Ice series.

The interviewer asked if he was going to change the parts that had been guessed and he said no. Essentially, why put in all these hints that lead to the conclusion if not to have the reader guess where you are headed? And i agree. If you put in a fair mystery that you have meant to be solve-able you shouldn't change it when people guess your end-game. That ends up being just another cool little tidbit that readers can't wait to talk to others about when they get to the clues, or the big reveal.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Rin1221
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am about half way done with The Eye of The World and finding that this book is so far... a slow read. Very descriptive. Not to say that this is a bad thing by any means!
I am seeing some subtle similarities between Tolken's writing and Jordan. These extensive epics are sometime hard to stay in tuned with.
So far I have been enjoying the character developments!

Return to “What are you currently reading?”