• In total there are 113 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 113 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Science fiction novelist, outspoken blogger and autistic visionary waves hello

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MeritaKing
Official Newbie!

Science fiction novelist, outspoken blogger and autistic visionary waves hello

Unread post

Hello, newbie on the block. I'm an English gal who loves science fiction, (although not Star Wars or Dr Who). Apart from writing, I make Native American inspired beaded pow wow fans, I love decorating my home (apart from sanding down the woodwork, I seriously hate that part), and I'm a crazy cat lady in training. I'm a Trekkie, fan of the original series who tolerates The Next Generation, and I watch all the epic sci fi movies as they come out. I positively drooled my way through Gravity, and I can watch Doom and all the Riddick movies hundreds of times over and enjoy them just as much as the first time.

One of my many weirdnesses is that although I write science fiction space opera, I don't read that genre. For reading, it has to be horror to keep me interested. I can remember when I was a teenager, which was a long time ago, reading all my mother's copies of the Pan Books of Horror Stories, and loving them. The first time I decided I would like to write a book, the plot idea I had was a horror. My favourite author was always James Herbert, but his last novel before he passed away was a huge disappointment. I quite like Dean Koontz too, but have never been a fan of Stephen King. Scott Sigler is a very good contemporary novelist.

Although I'm into sci fi, I'm not a nerd and don't claim to be an expert on any particular aspect of it. I'm always secretly impressed to see how expert some folks are on various aspects of sci fi, and have yawned my way through long facebook group posts where several star wars nerds have argued the finer points of something or other. I'm someone who just enjoys being entertained by sci fi, rather than an expert.

I am a psychic medium and have spent many a night in spooky dark houses, basements, castles, dungeons and all sorts of other wonderful places.

I found my way here via a link in someone's blog post about places to advertise your books, and thought I'd come over and take a look around.
Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Science fiction novelist, outspoken blogger and autistic visionary waves hello

Unread post

Welcome, I'm a sci-fi nerd myself, though my tastes are different I bet. I like the space opera books, in the form of Peter Hamilton and Iain Banks. I also loved the Battlestar Galactica miniseries, on top of the shows/movies you mentioned.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
MeritaKing
Official Newbie!

Re: Science fiction novelist, outspoken blogger and autistic visionary waves hello

Unread post

Hi Interbane, great to meet another sci fi nut.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Hi MeritaKing,

I'm not much into sci-fi but I do love fantasy. I've read and thoroughly enjoyed some Andre Norton recently.

Welcome to BookTalk.org! :-)
MeritaKing
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi Chris, thanks for the welcome. Andre Norton is certainly a prolific writer. Some of the original covers of her books are great. I love that classic sci fi style of cover.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Hi MeritaKing, and :welcome: I am a sci-fi aficionado, both reading and writing, and have been since I was about ten years old. I got in on the end of the 'Golden Age' of science fiction, 'cutting my teeth' on Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, DelRey, Heinlein, etc. etc. :) I could spend all afternoon discussing the genres. I like some fantasy (though I find most modern works to be warmed over versions of Tolkien), some horror (I like Dean Koontz, but have gotten burned out on Stephen King). We are always glad to greet new members, so again I will say :welcome:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
MeritaKing
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi Cattleman. I was just after that golden age but I'm just now making an effort to revisit those classic sci fi giants, especially Bradbury, I seriously love his work.

Return to “Everything Else”