• In total there are 68 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Needed Someone to Talk Books With

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: Needed Someone to Talk Books With

Unread post

It is interesting to compare CS Lewis and Narnia with Philip Pullman and 'His Dark Materials'. Pullman, as an atheist seems to have set himself up against Lewis as an intellectual Christian. ( I, personally, can't understand the term intellectual Christian as my Christianity doesn't really connect with my intellect.....such as it is.)

But this article might be of interest:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3572 ... r-God.html

I am not as indifferent as I may sound. I REALLY REALLY WANT YOU TO READ THIS SHORT ARTICLE. I am most interested to hear your responses.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Thank you Chris!

Penelope, that article was very intriguing. At first I didn't know if I agreed with it. In the sense that it didn't give off a good feel for atheists (we already have such a hard time battling the fact that most Christians perceive us as mean, unloving, close minded people) but as I read on I gathered that it was suppose to be more of a 'see we can be good people without the need of a god'. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am interested in reading the series now but with my list of books I might be awhile before I get to it.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Thanks mimoony.

It is odd that atheists feel persecuted in the US because here in the UK religious people are all made to feel stupid. They are almost always depicted as mentally unstable in the media. A very small proportion of the population attends church. I don't have a religious allegiance myself but I find it hard to have absolutely no spiritual sustenance with like minded people.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

The Phillip Pullman trilogy sounds very good. Perhaps it should be added to the upcoming fiction poll. Or even paired with The Chronicles of Narnia? (That's a heck uva lot of reading...) I see the first Pullman book was made into a movie.
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

In America if you aren't religious you are looked at like some modern hippy that has no heart especially here in the south.

LanDroid that is a good idea. :)
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

LanDroid:The Phillip Pullman trilogy sounds very good. Perhaps it should be added to the upcoming fiction poll. Or even paired with The Chronicles of Narnia? (That's a heck uva lot of reading...) I see the first Pullman book was made into a movie.
I have read the trilogy and really enjoyed the first two, but although I didn't think the final one was any more inferior I was becoming somewhat jaded by the final chapters.

It is an amazing piece of work. I have seen the film and a wonderful stage production with giant puppets - both were extraordinary, but actually did not, of course, have the depth of the books. They were enjoyable in a different way. Interesting but not nearly so thought provoking

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Everything Else”