• In total there are 21 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Say It Ain't So

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Say It Ain't So

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:electoral college needs to be looked at.

Clinton wins popular vote, yet loses electoral college by 62 points?
Not 10 points. Or 5 points. 62.

This is a huge discrepancy. Is that power to the people?

Oh bullshit.
this would not be an issue in need of examination if Clinton had won.

Regardless of what you think about Trump, he had to overcome two parties - the Republicans and the DUMBOcrats.
He whopped them both.

There's a bigger message here
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Sam Harris just tweeted something along the lines of "The irony: 81 percent of Evangelicals just elected our first atheist president."

I think Sam is probably correct. I seriously doubt Trump is a believer in any god other than himself.
That is unfounded speculation.

Obama was our first atheist president.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Will he really build a wall between Mexico and the U.S.? Maybe.
I no you didn't say this, but there's nothing wrong or racist with wanting to secure a border. That is the demonization tactic of the left.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Trump is non-religious, I would say.

But probably so was Obama. And several others, I would guss.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Trump is non-religious, I would say.

But probably so was Obama. And several others, I would guss.

It depends how you're defining the word "religious"

If you mean it in the narrow sense (going to church every Sunday morning) I'd say no, he's not.
If you're implying he doesn't believe in a higher power which makes him "non religious" only the man himself knows the answer to that.
Most people do in fact believe in some form of higher universal intelligence, which makes them NOT atheists.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

It does seem that a lot of working class people were unhappy with the government. The problem is providing employment for them and they don't generally have the educational qualifications for working in areas like technology.

I heard Trump talking about putting money into rebuilding infrastructures like roads and these are areas where blue collar workers can find work. It will be interesting to see if he can deliver on these kinds of ideas.
It may seem that publicly funded projects are just a stop gap. Interestingly that was how Hitler approached getting Germany out of dire recession and it worked economically at that time. Of course this was accompanied by a lot of weird ideology motivating people to self sacrifice for the Fatherland as well as the other extremes of his ideology.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:electoral college needs to be looked at.

Clinton wins popular vote, yet loses electoral college by 62 points?
Not 10 points. Or 5 points. 62.

This is a huge discrepancy. Is that power to the people?
The electoral college is an oddity, but it's the current system, and constitutes our representative democracy. Trump won this election fair and square. It obviously wouldn't be fair to change the rules now, after the election.

Most states use a winner-take-all rule, which is why we sometimes have a candidate who wins the popular vote but loses the electoral college, as Al Gore did and now Hillary Clinton too. But states don't have to have a winner-take-all rule, and so this problem could be addressed.

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/the-re ... l-college/
-Geo
Question everything
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:This is certainly a shocking turn of events. :shock:

Let's just hope that Trump cannot or at least does not set our nation back several decades with regards to all of the social issues like abortion, gay marriage, etc... I'm trying desperately to tune out the painful reality of a Trump presidency right now.
Hi Chris

Your alarm is overdone. It is entirely possible for the American people to maintain respect for homosexuals without widening the institution of marriage. Overturning the recent judicial activism on this would not mean the end of the world.

Similarly with abortion, the situation is that anyone who expresses moral qualms is demonised by liberal atheists as almost an agent of Satan.

The point is that the liberal media have manipulated the boundaries of acceptable conversation so that real ethical concerns about families, responsibility, competitiveness and so on have been turned into taboos. Trump is exploding these taboos, and I think this change can be an opportunity for a constructive paradigm shift, not only in America.

Respectful and open conversation about why society has become so polarised and unable to enter civil dialogue about important questions could be an important result of this amazing election. Despite my criticisms of Trump, I think Clinton and the Democrats are sclerotic and narrow, and that a Clinton Presidency would have produced a dangerous silencing, with triumphant puritanical leftists taking her lead to insult all disagreement as deplorable.

Clinton let the cat out of the bag with her undisciplined threat to the “basket of deplorables”. It showed that she and her supporters really hold the bigoted view that all conservatives are deplorable and deserve to be ignored by the sanctimonious elites.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

ant wrote: And now the Party of Tolerance is chanting they won't tolerate the president elect when he hasn't even but his shoe on the White House lawn yet.

The left has gone way overboard in delusion, intolerance, and emotional immaturity. They played themselves in the end.

I've been laughing about it for the past 24 hours now.
You should too.
Are you talking about the protests when you mention intolerance? Were any of them violent? No. So they were Americans exercising an essential right. And think about this: if the shoe had been on the other foot, how gracious would Trump have been in a post-election speech? He gave plenty of forecasts of his reaction to defeat. They weren't pretty.

We all need to rethink the respect given to the "anger" of the electorate--as if we don't expect rational thought but merely emotion.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote: Clinton let the cat out of the bag with her undisciplined threat to the “basket of deplorables”. It showed that she and her supporters really hold the bigoted view that all conservatives are deplorable and deserve to be ignored by the sanctimonious elites.
Her "basket of deplorables" remark (it was not a threat) was a mistake equivalent to Romney's "47 percent" in 2012. Set that one statement alongside Trump's catalog of egregious outrages; there's no possible comparison.

I'm just amazed at how many people are buying into this idea that "elites" have captured the reins of government and have failed to recognize the plight of the average citizen. That charge has become all the rage. It's at best a fuzzy-minded way to look at our problems and how to address them. Are we soon going to notice a great empathy for the common man as a new set of politicians moves in to set up shop? How naive it would be to think so.

What we've probably said goodbye to during Trump's rise is the remains of a civic culture, in which certain behavior is regarded as the norm and certain other behavior is ostracized. Or am I just parroting the elites who have said the same thing?

Return to “Current Events & History”