• In total there are 172 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 171 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Overrated Book???

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Overrated Book???

Unread post

How about a list of overrated authors? :hmm: I would suggest (for starters) Bill O'Reilly :razz2:and Nicholas Sparks :weep:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I didn't like The Great Gatsby either though I do enjoy period pieces, but you can't argue with success. So I cannot truely say it is overrated.

However, I do have a few books in my library that are truly horrible. I keep them around as a thorn in my side to motivate me. If these guys can write these books (and sometimes series), then what is my excuse?
On the thin ice of modern life...
Eladi31
Official Newbie!

Unread post

"All The Light We Cannot See", by Anthony Doerr. It won him the Pulitzer for fiction in 2015 and although it wasn't a bad book (many people loved it) it did not rise up to the standard of great. The theme itself is a little overrated, as well as the setting. I thought there was overall too much melodrama and tugging at the heart strings.
Murmur
Senior

Unread post

There are tons of overrated books. And by overrated, I mean overrated, not crappy. Overrated doesn't mean the book is awful. Here are a few.
  • The Bible
  • The Koran
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • The Great Gatsby
  • The King in Yellow by Chambers
  • A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present by Zinn
  • The Black Farm by Witherow
  • Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 1)
  • Dracula by Stoker
  • Neuromancer by Gibson
  • The Communist Manifesto
  • The Perl camel book from the 1990s
The reason I put the Bible and the Koran on my list is that the followers of the respective religions think that the books in question are miraculous, wonderful, the height of literature, and so forth. No, those books aren't miraculous, wonderful, or the height of literature. That's especially true of the Koran. As literature, the Koran is actually kind of crappy.

I don't know why, but goths love Bram Stoker. The only way that anyone can love him is if they've never read any of his stuff. Bram Stoker is spectacularly overrated. His short stories are mostly just garbage. Of his stuff that I have read, Dracula is the best thing he wrote, but that doesn't say much. Dracula is actually an ok novel. I would not say it sucked. His second best thing he wrote would be Lair of the White Worm, and it wasn't that great. It kind of sucked, actually.

Return to “Everything Else”