• In total there are 22 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Trump Watch

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Re: Trump Watch

Unread post

We'll have to suffer Trump for some time to come. I never saw anybody with so many legal woes. I too would like to dump him in the trash bin of history and forget about him but, as you say, we have to go after him. He has to pay for what he's done. We have to send a message to the next demagogue waiting in the wings. Break all your promises but don't break the law.

Besides, I have to admit it is amusing to see the QAnon idiots crying because this idiotic belief system they invested every fiber of their being into has evaporated before their very eyes just like that. All the Christian nationalist preachers are eating crow and not able to explain how god assured them of a huge Trump win and then gave it to Biden. Most of them are doubling down. "Trump WILL be president--mark my words!!!" Really? Too late now. Even if they kill him, they'll just put Kamala Harris in the driver's seat. They've been strangely silent about her. Even stranger considering that Biden may well abdicate the throne to her in 2024 because he'll just be too old to run for a second term.

I also love seeing Trump trying to deal with his loss. You can see that it just kills him. Even after everything he tried to do to kill the vote against him. Didn't matter. He failed to get a second term like Obama got--oh, that just kills him!! He will be remembered as the only president to get impeached twice, ignored a pandemic that killed hundreds of thousands. the only president to incite a mob of loons to stop the democratic process in which people were killed, might yet be the first impeached president to get tossed from office even if it is after the fact. But there ae serious problems too such as running the deficit up higher than it's ever been and allowing big business to wreck the environment.

So let's not kill off Trump yet. This is just starting to get good!
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I’m onboard with what you’re writing DB. For me there’s ‘schadenfreude’ in the failure of FPSfB’s FYIGM mentality. QAnon is down in the dumps for the loss of the last minute power grab that never could happen. FPSfB. Becomes a part of the deep state.

Joe B said from the git go that he was not going to run for a second term. 2024 will be Kamala’s show. Getting rid of FPSfB’s was Joe’s singular promise. He’s fulfilled his words, undoing FPSfB policies is the icing on the cake, (not to say we’ll be skating free) certainly we’r skating on thin ice as far as political edges are concerned. The margins remain narrow. A charismatic demagogue could rise to the times and blow the doors off of what we’ve viewed politically so far. I’ll do what I can to prevent that. In the meantime there’s an agenda being delivered that gives me hope for the future of labor.

We’ve had 40 years of deficit spending, we’ll have to get used to a few more years of freaked out budgets before we can begin to put that particular boogeyman to rest. Regulation of environmental impact and adjustment towards a more appropriate tax code on big business and wealth beyond the domestic levels will have a major impact towards the financing of sustainable growth and development. ( it will take money.. lots of money to make the world a better place).
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I checked into QAnon for a bit early on as an entertaining diversion. You may have heard about "The Storm," which actually was supposed to happen late 2017 / early 2018 where Trump, working WITH Mueller, the FBI, deep state, etc. would arrest Hillary followed by mass arrests of 25,000 to 50,000 corrupt democrat pedophiles. (I didn't last very long with that, way too much Nazi influence.) Evidently "The Storm" evolved once those arrests did not happen. Now that was supposed to happen in 2019, or on the January 6 attack on the Capitol, or most definitely on inauguration day. Those folks deluded themselves with ever-changing stories for years. So yeah, QAnon is crying, but only until they can find a replacement conspiracy.

If Trump forms a new political party and destroys the republican party in the process, that would be very on-brand. Remember the demise of the US Football League, where Trump bought a team, then proceeded to destroy the entire league!
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... d-the-usfl
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

FPSfB has the bizzaro Midas touch, he lays his small hands on it (whatever ‘it’ is) and invariably he boogers it up.

In thinking of QAnon and FPSfB..I’m thinking of boxing promoter Don King. “Only in America”
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:If Trump forms a new political party and destroys the republican party in the process, that would be very on-brand. Remember the demise of the US Football League, where Trump bought a team, then proceeded to destroy the entire league!
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... d-the-usfl
Many Republicans are now trying to distance themselves from Trump, like rats from a sinking ship. I have a grudging and newfound respect for Mitch McConnell for at least trying to act more human. Lindsay Graham has shifted subtly from his previous position as sycophant, always keeping a finger raised to see which way the wind will blow next. And the all-in candidates like Ted Cruz and Hawley are digging in because they've already sold their soul to the Devil. But Cruz, in particular, seems to always be making the wrong move at the wrong time. Remember when these idiots were warning us against Trump? They should have included themselves in their warnings. For its partisan hacks like them that almost doomed our democracy.
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Taylor wrote:I’m onboard with what you’re writing DB. For me there’s ‘schadenfreude’ in the failure of FPSfB’s FYIGM mentality. QAnon is down in the dumps for the loss of the last minute power grab that never could happen. FPSfB. Becomes a part of the deep state.

Joe B said from the git go that he was not going to run for a second term. 2024 will be Kamala’s show. Getting rid of FPSfB’s was Joe’s singular promise. He’s fulfilled his words, undoing FPSfB policies is the icing on the cake, (not to say we’ll be skating free) certainly we’r skating on thin ice as far as political edges are concerned. The margins remain narrow. A charismatic demagogue could rise to the times and blow the doors off of what we’ve viewed politically so far. I’ll do what I can to prevent that. In the meantime there’s an agenda being delivered that gives me hope for the future of labor.

We’ve had 40 years of deficit spending, we’ll have to get used to a few more years of freaked out budgets before we can begin to put that particular boogeyman to rest. Regulation of environmental impact and adjustment towards a more appropriate tax code on big business and wealth beyond the domestic levels will have a major impact towards the financing of sustainable growth and development. ( it will take money.. lots of money to make the world a better place).
Going off topic, Taylor, I can't find any clear statements of Biden's intent to be a one-termer or a two. As hard as it might be to imagine a president retiring at 86 years old, it wouldn't totally surprise me to see Biden give 8 years a go. This is an ambitious guy, a quality that his plain Joe exterior obscures. Logistically, it's awkward to pass the mantle to Harris for '24. Wouldn't he have to make his plan known by about the middle of '23, making him a lame duck for the rest of his term? And he couldn't just resign without a really good reason (i.e., health crisis), handing the office over to his VP. That would be unethical and underhanded. They talk about how the presidency ages a person. Biden's already plenty aged. I hope he doesn't regret his decision to run!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Taylor wrote:FPSfB has the bizzaro Midas touch, he lays his small hands on it (whatever ‘it’ is) and invariably he boogers it up.

In thinking of QAnon and FPSfB..I’m thinking of boxing promoter Don King. “Only in America”
Sorry, I cannot stop myself.

King Midas in reverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzB7nqh-O5g
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

geo wrote: Many Republicans are now trying to distance themselves from Trump, like rats from a sinking ship. I have a grudging and newfound respect for Mitch McConnell for at least trying to act more human. Lindsay Graham has shifted subtly from his previous position as sycophant, always keeping a finger raised to see which way the wind will blow next. And the all-in candidates like Ted Cruz and Hawley are digging in because they've already sold their soul to the Devil. But Cruz, in particular, seems to always be making the wrong move at the wrong time. Remember when these idiots were warning us against Trump? They should have included themselves in their warnings. For its partisan hacks like them that almost doomed our democracy.
The rats seem to still be hedging their bets. What's the problem with these people? How much louder an alarm bell do they need? After his big, dramatic. "We're done, bro," on the Senate floor, Graham is back to counseling Trump. McConnell, after not saying whether he would vote to convict Trump, now doesn't even want a trial to be held.

With convicting Trump an impossibility, for me Sen. Tim Kaine's solution is best: a bipartisan censure of Trump. That would waste little time that is better spent on Biden's agenda. Those Senators who're claiming that trying a former president is unconstitutional wouldn't be able to hide behind that excuse. They'd have to vote to censure or else be on record as saying that Trump did nothing especially wrong, or that the mob attack on the Capitol wasn't the disaster it was depicted as. They'd each have to show the American public where they stand on the root cause of the Capitol attack: the lie that Biden didn't win in a free and fair election.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

DWill wrote: With convicting Trump an impossibility, for me Sen. Tim Kaine's solution is best: a bipartisan censure of Trump. That would waste little time that is better spent on Biden's agenda. Those Senators who're claiming that trying a former president is unconstitutional wouldn't be able to hide behind that excuse. They'd have to vote to censure or else be on record as saying that Trump did nothing especially wrong, or that the mob attack on the Capitol wasn't the disaster it was depicted as. They'd each have to show the American public where they stand on the root cause of the Capitol attack: the lie that Biden didn't win in a free and fair election.
I completely agree. Unfortunately convicting Trump doesn't seem to be in the cards. It isn't clear to me why that choice doesn't present the same issue that censure does, but I suppose there is some cowardly option to let him off on a technicality. Perhaps they would want to say, "He may have stirred them up but he didn't actually advocate violence" which would probably be technically correct. Narcissists are experts at inciting without committing, especially after many decades of practice.

Requiring a forthright stand, as with the censure of Joe McCarthy, would be the best turning point possible, to get Republicans of authority on the record opposing the big lie. They have been remarkably coy about stating it without being confronted.
MaineDave
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Is Kaine's proposal just a censure or a censure under Section III of the 14th Amendment (which would bar him from seeking office again)? At least if it's a 14th Amendment censure then there is SOME punitive action for Trump's incitement of a mob. If it's just a slap-on-the-wrist censure, then why bother?

Return to “Current Events & History”