• In total there are 50 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Deleted My Facebook Account

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Re: Deleted My Facebook Account

Unread post

Mr. Pessimistic wrote:were you into the punk scene?
I wasn't into the punk scene but was the metal and grunge scene of the early 1990s. I grew up in deep Southern Illinois. I learned to play drums in the 1980s on a CB 700 drum kit. By the time I entered high school, I drummed in metal/thrash bands. In high school, I sang for a band with a Testament sound, and this opened the door for me to become the singer of a popular grunge band in my area. We played shows in nearby college towns, sometimes four shows per week. It was a lot of fun, and I made a lot of good friends doing it.

One of the things I cherish most about my time in high school bands is my friends converted an old warehouse into a place for bands to have shows. Bands from St. Louis and Chicago came down to play, and I met punk bands through that venue. We built a stage, some skaters created a half-pipe, and graffiti artists painted the walls. The cops got called all the time! lol Nevertheless, it was good fun, and the artistic energy that place produced caused others to form bands.

I left the music scene to attend college but remained in touch with friends who were in bands well into the 2000s.

Three of the popular bands to come out of my circle of friends were SS Bountyhunter, Annihilate the Hero, and The Woodbox Gang, the last of which landed a music deal with Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys.

Recently, I heard from an old friend from those days who played bass in a punk band. He sent me his book. Very cool.
Last edited by Brooks127 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Brooks127 wrote:
By "double bass" are you meaning a double bass drum kit? If yes, I've owned two sets. One was a Ludwig Rocker II series. Loved that kit. They ended up being the touring a kit for a popular band from my area. The other was a Pearl. The Pearl set came out of a home studio in my area that recorded a lot of local 1990s punk bands. The drums themselves have a history.

If you got flagged for a drum kit, it makes me think FB first lets bots flag accounts and then has mods read subsequent post of those flagged. I can't imagine AI being so clunky as to get drums mixed up with whatever input provided the output.
I refer to a bass violin. I have also been a drummer, was my original instrument, in fact. I still have a set of Yamahas but I play mostly double bass now. I'll do a guitar thing occasionally but I'm not comfortable on guitar. I get stage fright with guitar. I have to look at the floor. I play jazzy blues and ragtime on guitar. I played in punk bands in the 90s--hardcore, thrash, speed metal and like that--either drums or bass guitar. My style was stuff like Discharge, Feederz and Nailbomb. Now I do jazz and classical and occasionally play guitar at folk shows because my older brother is a famous folkie in the area so I ride on his coattails. But I'm kinda hooked on double bass and Bach.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

DB Roy wrote:I refer to a bass violin. I have also been a drummer, was my original instrument, in fact. I still have a set of Yamahas but I play mostly double bass now. I'll do a guitar thing occasionally but I'm not comfortable on guitar. I get stage fright with guitar. I have to look at the floor. I play jazzy blues and ragtime on guitar. I played in punk bands in the 90s--hardcore, thrash, speed metal and like that--either drums or bass guitar. My style was stuff like Discharge, Feederz and Nailbomb. Now I do jazz and classical and occasionally play guitar at folk shows because my older brother is a famous folkie in the area so I ride on his coattails. But I'm kinda hooked on double bass and Bach.
Yamaha makes good stuff. Back in high school, my friends and I rocked out to Led Zeppelin records on a 1970s Yamaha stereo with matching turntable. The base and smooth sound that system produced were amazing.

Mentioning Discharge makes me think of DRI and Extreme Noise Terror. Good bands.

I'm not great at guitar either. Drums were my first instrument. I gravitated to guitar to try to write songs. My playing skills are at the level of a person who knows how to strum "Mother" by Pink Floyd at a bonfire sing along with the "not too obvious" pause because I forget what chord to transition to during the chorus.

There's a lot of folk bands in my area who play local wineries. Before the pandemic, I got a few invites to play shows, everything from sing folk to play drums for a stoner rock band. At the time, I traveled a lot for business so couldn't do much of anything outside work. Now that I'm free of that, who knows...

Very cool you're into jazz. I do a lot of writing to jazz. Miles Davis is probably my favorite, but there are many who I listen to. His albums, Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet and Sketches of Spain, are my go to recordings for late night or early morning writing.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Brooks127 wrote:.
Yamaha makes good stuff. Back in high school, my friends and I rocked out to Led Zeppelin records on a 1970s Yamaha stereo with matching turntable. The base and smooth sound that system produced were amazing.

Mentioning Discharge makes me think of DRI and Extreme Noise Terror. Good bands.

I'm not great at guitar either. Drums were my first instrument. I gravitated to guitar to try to write songs. My playing skills are at the level of a person who knows how to strum "Mother" by Pink Floyd at a bonfire sing along with the "not too obvious" pause because I forget what chord to transition to during the chorus.

There's a lot of folk bands in my area who play local wineries. Before the pandemic, I got a few invites to play shows, everything from sing folk to play drums for a stoner rock band. At the time, I traveled a lot for business so couldn't do much of anything outside work. Now that I'm free of that, who knows...

Very cool you're into jazz. I do a lot of writing to jazz. Miles Davis is probably my favorite, but there are many who I listen to. His albums, Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet and Sketches of Spain, are my go to recordings for late night or early morning writing.
My guitar skills are actually pretty good. But I'm just not comfortable onstage with it. But I can play some pretty good stuff with it. I'm definitely old school on guitar. Old jazz standards, blues, tin pan alley stuff, 20s stuff, ragtime. I prefer to play for an older audience as a result. Older blacks are my favorite audience because they know the songs--Stars Fell on Alabama, Rainy Night in Georgia, I'm in the Mood for Love, Georgia On My Mind, She's Funny That Way, I Got Loaded, Autumn Leaves, etc. Tom Waits stuff too.

Miles is the man. Kids need to learn his lines. They all want to learn to cram 500 notes into every measure like the beboppers but before you do that, learn Miles. Those long, melodic, languid lines are where you find jazz. I guess my favorite Miles is "So What" because I had to learn every note Paul Chambers played on bass on every number for a show I did back about 15 years ago. We had to play the album exactly as written for the audience. So I know that album literally forwards and backwards. I love Bill Evans too. Bill with Scott Lafaro on bass was THE combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQnPJD9 ... onAyacucho

This clip is from the movie "Dingo" about an Australian horn man playing in a dance band but he longs to be a jazz master playing with Miles. All the trumpet here is, of course, actually Miles. No one else plays like that. Really captures his essence.

But the greatest written bass lines are Bach's. You can take 2 or 3 bars of Bach's bass lines and compose a whole new piece out of it. The Third Brandenburg Concerto has a run of 16th notes in the second movement that I've slapped in rockabilly pieces and played as jazz walking bass lines. You can use them for blues too. Bach is amazing.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

DB Roy wrote:Miles is the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQnPJD9 ... onAyacucho

This clip is from the movie "Dingo" about an Australian horn man playing in a dance band but he longs to be a jazz master playing with Miles. All the trumpet here is, of course, actually Miles. No one else plays like that. Really captures his essence.
Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of that movie. I own Miles Ahead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Ahead_(film) Good film. I normally don't like biographical-drama's, but I watched it several times.

Another jazz drama is Born to Be Blue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_to_Be_Blue_(film) It's the story of Chet Baker. I own it too. I'm not sure I like it as much as Miles Ahead, but it's worth a watch.

I Called Him Morgan is a good documentary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Called_Him_Morgan

I never learned to read music, but one of my friends taught music classes. I've heard the frustrations.

When I lived in Nashville, I'd go out to watch a friend play in a jazz band at a Fitzgerald's. He produced country music by day and played jazz at night.

I thought you might like this music: https://archive.org/details/Curses_From ... 5/ProleteR I discovered this years ago, and it's one of my favorite mixes. Recently, I heard one of the songs in a documentary.

Return to “Everything Else”