• In total there are 70 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Hockey Fights

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Hockey Fights

Unread post

Mr. P.: But that role is actually going away what with the new rule changes. Many older guys with marginal skill and powerful punches are retiring. The gritty guys who cannot skate cannot compete anymore. I have to admit, of the hockey that I watch, I miss that old school style. But, I come from the city of the Broad Street Bullies, that's to be understood. Like many of Philly's other teams, the Flyers are slow in catching up to changes in the style of play. Mr. P.: I miss playing hockey. I snapped my ACL and have not played since.One day I will get the operation and resume my 'career'.Mr. P. I had my ACL done a year and half ago. Other than some odd and loud clicking, that is probably attributable to cartilage issues, the knee is solid. I had a complete ACL and 2nd degree MCL tear with meniscus damage. Those ligament tears were the weirdest injury I ever experienced. Before I tore my ACL I was always most fearful of being knocked unconscious. Now I am definitely more fearful of joint damage, it takes the longest to heal. Anyway, if you end up having the surgery and want to ask me about any of my experiences, I'll be happy to share. I can also direct you to an online community of ACLers who were helpful in answering my questions. As everyone who's been through it will say, it's the rehab and not the surgery that's the hardest. The surgery you get to sleep through, afterall.St. Gas: I'm a fan of mixed martial artists like Fedor Emelianenko, Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, and George St. Pierre. Seeing hockey fights after you've watched these guys in the ring is like watching toddlers wildly fling their toys at each other. I have to admit the opposite happened to me. I thought hockey players looked silly fighting on the ice too. That is until I learned a bit about fighting, how hard it is physically to engage in a fight even for a few moments, and the strength required even when fighting in sneakers on solid ground, when I was in pretty good shape. Now watching those men throwing punches at each other while in skates, on ice, I have a better understanding of the physical, especially the core, strength required, and I'm truly amazed. That's not to say I condone the fighting; I'm pretty indifferent about it altogether. But I tend to admire any solid punch that is landed in the course of those ice fights. For a good fight though, I would much rather watch UFC or the like.

Return to “Everything Else”