• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Ch. 2 - The Age of Reason and Unreason

#20: July - Sept. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Ch. 2 - The Age of Reason and Unreason

Unread post

Quote:Paine regarded it as particularly ironic that Americans should complain with increasing vociferousness of injustices done them by Britain while the colonists themselves enslaved other men.That is kinda ironic. Jacoby also mentions that Paine founded the first American anti-slavery society. Another notch in the belt for the man of Reason. This transference is a human thing though, not necessarily American only. Like the poor person who becomes rich and then all of a sudden looks down on the poor. Like blacks that would discriminate against ANYONE else after what they have been through. It seems to me that most people, upon reaching a 'better' level of existence forget quite easily about the levels they have risen from. Yesterdays persecuted are to days persecutes.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism - by Susan Jacoby”