• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Official Poll - Freethought Book for Nov. & Dec. 2007

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Great post, Mad. Taking Freethought discussions back to the basics of philosophy might not be a bad idea. Ethics and Morality are especially big topics around here and most books on Atheism invariably bring up these issues. I most enjoyed my ethics course at University that utilized selections from direct source instead of using a survey textbook, but an accessible intro book might be a good spring board for discussion. Logic is definitely a subject I have long wanted to further explore. I know just enough to get me into trouble ;) I generally avoid some basic pit falls of poor argumentation, but I definitely need a more detailed review of the subject to better present views. I found this list of philosophy books through one of the books Mad suggested above. These would all make good selections for a reading. I am of the opinion that arguing about metaphysics is pointless because in the end, many arguments have no practical application regardless of which "side" or argument is "right." But more applicable philosophical issues such as logic and morality and ethics do have a major influence on how people go about their lives. Not suggesting abandoning the current reading but these are great ideas for the next voting period.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

None of the above

Unread post

I'm not interested in reading a book about atheism. While I've been an atheist for the last 20 years, it's not a topic that I care to learn more about. A book should teach me something I didn't know before or provide new insights, and there are many books on my bookshelf that sound more appealing.

Considering how widespread that attitude seems to be, could you add other books to the list of options?
seeker
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

I agree. I'm tired of hearing the same arguments against religion over and over.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

riverc0il wrote:Great post, Mad. Taking Freethought discussions back to the basics of philosophy might not be a bad idea. Ethics and Morality are especially big topics around here and most books on Atheism invariably bring up these issues. I most enjoyed my ethics course at University that utilized selections from direct source instead of using a survey textbook, but an accessible intro book might be a good spring board for discussion. Logic is definitely a subject I have long wanted to further explore. I know just enough to get me into trouble ;) I generally avoid some basic pit falls of poor argumentation, but I definitely need a more detailed review of the subject to better present views. I found this list of philosophy books through one of the books Mad suggested above. These would all make good selections for a reading. I am of the opinion that arguing about metaphysics is pointless because in the end, many arguments have no practical application regardless of which "side" or argument is "right." But more applicable philosophical issues such as logic and morality and ethics do have a major influence on how people go about their lives. Not suggesting abandoning the current reading but these are great ideas for the next voting period.

Ditto. I am for learning more about some basic concepts that can help us better in future discussions.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I have no problem with broadening the type of books discussed in the "freethought" category. It's probably a good idea, especially if we take up topics that are basic to understanding how human nature appears to work, etc.

However, I will note in passing that for all the complaining about the lack of activity in the "Freethought" selections, in the year or so I've been active here, the freethought books have generated far more posts than those in the non-fiction category. That seems to be true even when we weren't talking about Dawkins' The God Delusion. If the problem were the one we keep hearing about, I would think the numbers would back it up--i.e. there would be more activity in the non-fiction category and less in the freethought category, not the other way around.

Chris, maybe it would be helpful if you could tell us what the track is. Has activity increased or decreased over the history of the discussion group? I'm not talking so much about month to month variations but overall trends. Do the numbers support the idea that "Freethought" books, as we have been selecting them, do worse than others?

George
George Ricker

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

mere atheism: no gods

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”