• In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

How many books do you own?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

How many books do you own?

Unread post

How many books do you own?Give us a rough estimate of how many books you currently own. Results (total votes = 22):1 - 49&nbsp1 / 4.5%&nbsp 50 - 99&nbsp6 / 27.3%&nbsp 100 - 249&nbsp2 / 9.1%&nbsp 250 - 499&nbsp6 / 27.3%&nbsp 500+&nbsp7 / 31.8%&nbsp 
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: How many books do you own?

Unread post

I just sold or donated 6 large rubber bins of books this year. With those gone I am left with what I estimate to be about 500 or more books. The reality is I will never read or even refer to most of them again. But I struggle with getting rid of books for some reason. Soon I plan to go through them and weed through the ones I definitely won't ever crack open again. This bunch will either be sold or donated. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 12/19/05 7:53 pm
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

when i lived in the north of boston area, i was able to take advantage of a HUGE library network and almost never boght books. i was amazed how under utilized the libraries were and how good book sellers were doing (well, relatively speaking). now, living in VT with only a few rathe rsmall libraries, i tend to buy books from amazon and then resell them used on the internet. i rarely keep any non-reference book as i never reread anything excep tolkien. too many other books to read to be spending time with one i have already read. so maybe just over 50 books total, but i am working on selling many of them.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I probably have between 400-499 books. I love to read myself, plus I read to students as well as provide them with books to read in my classroom.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

My math may be wrong on this count, but I think I have somewhere in the range of 300 books. I'm constantly giving away or selling books that I think I'm unlikely to use again, and that keeps my collection growing slowly rather than overwhelming me. But contrary to what some of you have said about your own collections, I usually do find use for the books I've already read. I will occasionally go back and re-read a fiction book that I've enjoyed -- I intent to revisit most of the ones that I really liked. The non-fiction books I use for reference, both in discussions like these and in my own writing. And I enjoy having books at hand to loan to friends and family. I find that people are far more likely to read a book you recommend to them if you have it on hand and can put it in their possession whenever it's convenient. I run a very exclusive library out of my home, and the advantage that it confers is that I'm able to promote the kind of advantages that come from sharing the experience of a book with someone.
suescrafts
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I own about 300 general non-fiction and fiction books with an additional 100 crafting books. I have spent the last year selling and donating over 400 books to reduce my library to this level and make me feel not quite so guilty in purchasing new books which look interesting. SuePeople change and forget to tell each other. Lillian Hellman
pctacitus

Unread post

Over 500. "...the great events in life come from the books, rather than the people, one comes across." - Robert D. Kaplan, Mediterranean Winter: the Pleasures of History and Landscape in Tunisia, Sicily, Dalmatia, and Greece
tomiichi

Unread post

Up until a few years ago, I would sell my books back after reading them. I found myself regreting this later. I wish I had kept most of the books so I could read them again or at least refer back to them. What a shame. Now that I have learned my lesson I keep them all even if I think I won't look at it again. So now I am slowly building my collection up.
Sudsy Bubblebath

Unread post

100-249 easy. In all the moves etc. I was separated from most of my books for a couple years...it was great moving back to Florida and getting 'em all back this year. Visit Constant Comment Messageboardwww.candacedixon.com
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

ahh...getting your books back. What a great feeling! "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”