• In total there are 38 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

II

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

II

Unread post

I am
Last edited by Ophelia on Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jales4
Intern

Unread post

Hi Evelyne,

Have you read Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale?
http://www.amazon.com/Handmaids-Tale-No ... dpp_ttl_in

Realistic and chilling. Atwood's books are often a bit difficult to get interested in, she has a very unique writing style. But if you manage to plow through the first 5 chapters, you will be enthralled.

If you decide to read it, let me know, and I'll reread it at the same time, so we can discuss it. It has been a few years since I read it.

Jan.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Thanks for your posting, Jales4.

I remember when The Handsmaid's Tale was published and I tried to read it.
My colleagues in the English department (or perhaps the women ?) loved it, and I found it chilling.

I used the link you provided, and came to the same conclusion as before: not my cup of tea...
Ophelia.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Hi Evelyne,

I have read the Time Travelers Wife and really loved it, though I agree, it is more about the love story. There are a few historical elements present in that he knows what is going to happen in history but he is unable to change it. He cannot stop the events of 9/11, for example; he can only watch the events unfold on the television. He tries to stop his mother's death, but is not "allowed" to interfere. I don't know how far you have read but if you are not enjoying the love story you may not want to continue with it.

What I found interesting about this book myself was the involuntary aspect of his time travel and how it affected him and his wife. I have not read many time travel books, but most of the movies I have seen such as Back to the Future and The Time Machine deal with voluntarily traveling to where and when you would like to go. I thought it was an intriguing concept. :D
My wedding day! 08-08-08
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Not a book, but if you really love the time travel motif, you might invest 90 minutes in watching "Primer", a really well-crafted independent movie that is probably the most mature and intelligent handling of time travel that I've ever seen.
If this rule were always observed; if no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved, Caesar would have spared his country, America would have been discovered more gradually, and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed. -- Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus"

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”