• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Angela's Ashes and Reading in the Dark

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Bananafish
Getting Comfortable

Angela's Ashes and Reading in the Dark

Unread post

hey everyone, I'm preparing material for a paper comparing the books Angela's Ashes and Reading in the Dark. What I'm primarily focusing on is the effect of telling these stories through the eyes of children. Both protagonists are young boys dubiously coping with adult problems; certain occerrences and happenings are met with innocent, often intrinsic, interrogation, and they both constantly struggle to understand the situation.

So, I'm trying to first identify all of the similarities between the books, i.e. both feature scenes in irish catholic schools, both feature mothers whose heavy burdens wear on them, both focus on a young boy's longing for parental affection, themes of isolation, etc etc.

And then from there I will try to determine how each author approaches these themes similarly/differently, and how approaching these situations through a child's eyes could have effected the story being told.

I don't really require anyone to respond to any of that, all I really want is some discussion about the books, either one or both. I think better when I discuss these things.

Oh, and i recently had dinner with/interviewed Frank McCourt. So, if you like him, I can tell you what he's like!

thanks
Bananafish
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

really? nothing for this?

i figured someone would have read Reading in the Dark
jales4
Intern

Unread post

Hi Bananafish,

I picked the book up in a bookstore and read the first few pages, but it didn't grab me.

Do you think it is worthwhile to give it another try?
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Sorry BF, I've never read either.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”