• In total there are 29 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Suggest a pirate book

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
dracony
Getting Comfortable

Suggest a pirate book

Unread post

Hi, im looking for a swashbuckling pirate book, with magic and curses, etc (more funny-like, not serious stuff like Captain Blood), but it has to be worth to read. Any suggestions? Thank you.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I wouldn't really call "Captain Blood" serious, so maybe my recommendations aren't for you. All the same, you might try "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson, easily a classic of the genre. Robert Howard wrote some pirate stories; specifically, Conan becomes a pirate for a brief period. Lord Dunsany's "Wonder Tales" contains a few outrageous stories about a pirate named Shard. Borges' "A Brief History of Universal Iniquity" contains the story of the widow Chang, a Chinese pirate apparently modeled on an historical figure. Whether or not any of these will suit your taste is beyond my capacity to divine.
dracony
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

i wanted something with magic and curses :)
ive read Treasure island ages ago :) i was looking for something similar but more fairy-tale like, aka pirates of the carribean like
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Then I would check out the Conan stories -- a few examples are, "The Pool of the Black One" and "Iron Shadows in the Moon" -- and the Shard stories in Dunsany's "Wonder Tales". William Hope Hodges also wrote supernatural stories associated with sea-faring, but since I haven't yet tracked down a copy of one of this books, I can't tell you whether or not they deal with pirates proper. If I think of anything else, I'll shoot it your way.
dracony
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

i checked out those "wonder tales", quite nice, but i was rather looking for a novel.

Strange, i always thought pirate novels were quite a popular genre.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

And here, the two of you are talking about pirate books and I'm thinking: Strange, I never even knew pirate lit. existed as a subgenre. So much to read...so little time.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

If it's all that popular genre, I was unaware of it. Lessee... I know there's a series of young adult novels that deal with pirates, but I don't know if they're any good. I just saw them on a display table in Borders one day. I believe the series title is "Pirates!" And then I'm sure an decently stocked fantasy/sci-fi section would contain a fair share of pirate-themed books, but, again, I can't really recommend any titles. Sorry I'm not more help than that.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”