• In total there are 29 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Book of Five Rings - Musashi

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
AntyNet0914

The Book of Five Rings - Musashi

Unread post

I have read this book maybe 100 times. Just wondering if anyone was along the same lines of reading as I am. Has anyone read this and care to discuss? -Antoinette There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
marti1900

Re: The Book of Five Rings - Musashi

Unread post

Is this it?users.tkk.fi/~renko/gorinnosho.htmlI don't usually find battle strategy books useful to me in my dail life. What about this book has compelled you to read it 100 times? Do you find it germaine to your current thinking?If you can give me something that catches my attention, I will read it and discuss it with you. Marti in Mexico
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Maybe she lives in the Bronx.
AntyNet0914

Unread post

Haha - No Mad, I do not live in the Bronx.Actually, I spent 11 years in the Martial Arts world. The book was originally given to me by my instructor, a man I loved and respected. If you take the book at face value, then yes, it is simply a book about "battle strategy". Musashi was a very interesting man. He was an efficent killing machine, but he was also a poet, an artist. There were rumors that he did not bathe, and also that he had a horrible skin condition that made his appearance quite horrible.For instance:Do not think dishonestly. The Way is in training. Become aquainted with every art. Know the Ways of professions. Distinguish between gain and loss in worldly matters. Develop intuitive judgement and understanding for everything. Perceive those things which cannot be seen. Pat attention even to trifles. Do nothing which is of no use. These rules do not apply to fighting only, but to business, life, ect. Its said that every japanese business man has a copy of this book and reads it frequently. Eh, I thought it was decent. Maybe I haven't read 100 times, but I have read it a lot.-Antoinette There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
marti1900

Unread post

OK, I'll read it. But you have to promise to discuss it with me. We were reading a classic, and everybody wanted to read Thucydides, so I was diligently reading, and they all abandoned me. Then we were reading Thomas Paine, and they abandoned me again! LOLSo I want a cross-your-heart-hope-to-die promise you won't abandon me halfway thru this. Have you read Art of War by Sun Tzu and of course Machiavelli? And Robert M. Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?Marti in Mexico
AntyNet0914

Unread post

Marti,I cross my heart hope to die stick a needle in my eye swear to discuss this with you. Yes, I have read the "Art of War", "Zen and the art....". I spent most of my childhood and young adulthood reading books of this nature. I don't so much any more, but there are several that stand out in my mind as great reads. -Antoinette There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
AntyNet0914

Unread post

Taking out what I posted before on this book (plus a tad bit more):"1.Do not think dishonestly. 2.The Way is in training. 3.Become aquainted with every art. 4.Know the Ways of professions. 5.Distinguish between gain and loss in worldly matters. 6.Develop intuitive judgement and understanding for everything. 7.Perceive those things which cannot be seen. 8.Pat attention even to trifles. 9.Do nothing which is of no use. It is important to start by setting thses broad principles in your heart, and train in the Way of strategy. If you do not look at things on a large scale it will be difficult for you to master strategy. If you learn and attain this strategy you will never lose even to twenty of thirty enemies. More than anything to start with you must set your heart on strategy and earnestly stick to the Way. You will come to be able to actually beat men in fights, and to be able to win with your eye. Also by training you will be able to freely control your won body, conquer men with your body, and with sufficient training you will be able to beat ten men with your spirit. When you have reached this point, will it not mean that you are invincible?"I sort of equate this with the "ten commandments" from a completely NON religious standpoint. I myself, am not religious, but I hold very high standards in living what I think is an honest, giving, and loving life. So broken simply down:1. Do not lie, to others and especially not to yourself.2. Practice...whatever it may be, its the only way to better yourself.3. Become familiar not only with your interests, but other aspects of life, as to become a well rounded individual.4. Know your job, and try to excel.5. Know what is true loss and true gain in life.6. Know what your "gut" is telling you, and understand why it is so.7. Don't take everything for face value.8. Look at even the trivial things in life, but don't get hung up on them.9. Don't waste time.I think these are very good rules to live by (for me). I am a firm believer that life is what you make of it, regardless of religious beliefs. -Antoinette There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
ladyhecate2010
Official Newbie!

Reading Inspiration

Unread post

AntyNet,

I frequently download ebooks onto my IPOD. Back in August 2007 I purchase A Book of Five Rings. I got through the first 20 minutes and it put me to sleep. I had heard that it is a "must read" for Japanese Businessmen so this was part of why I thought it might be interesting.

Your outline review and love of this book has inspired me to give it another chance.

Thanks

Lady Hecate

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”