• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

The Stillborn God: Religion, Politics, and the Modern West

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I posted this in Mad's "Secular Age" thread and realized I should have posted it on it's own. SO here it is:

This book popped up as an "Other Interest" when I was looking at the book Mad posted about. Seemed interesting.

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. This searching history of western thinking about the relationship between religion and politics was inspired not by 9/11, but by Nazi Germany, where, says University of Chicago professor Lilla (The Reckless Mind), politics and religion were horrifyingly intertwined. To explain the emergence of Nazism's political theology, Lilla reaches back to the early modern era, when thinkers like Locke and Hume began to suggest that religion and politics should be separate enterprises. Some theorists, convinced that Christianity bred violence, argued that government must be totally detached from religion. Others, who believed that rightly practiced religion could contribute to modern life, promoted a liberal theology, which sought to articulate Christianity and Judaism in the idiom of reason. (Lilla's reading of liberal Jewish thinker Hermann Cohen is especially arresting.) Liberal theologians, Lilla says, credulously assumed human society was progressive and never dreamed that fanaticism could capture the imaginations of modern people-assumptions that were proven wrong by Hitler. If Lilla castigates liberal theology for its naïveté, he also praises America and Western Europe for simultaneously separating religion from politics, creating space for religion, and staving off sectarian violence and theocracy. Lilla's work, which will influence discussions of politics and theology for the next generation, makes clear how remarkable an accomplishment that is. (Sept. 14)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Mr.P., as I recall, Mad mentioned this book before, also. Though it might have been a couple months ago, at this point. I think he referenced an article about the book and suggested that we pick up Hobbes and Rousseau and read them both to do a similar comparison to the one Lilla writes about. I had seriously considered it at the time. But he was looking at Leviathan and Emile and they weren't really texts I was interested in exploring then. But, for a few months now, possibly since Mad's suggestion, I've been giving some thought into really diving into the Enlightenment thinkers. Anyway, I'm sure the thread was in Belief and Philosophy, though I really can't remember how long ago, at least two months I'd say.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Probably a month and a half, give or take. I brought it up in reference to an article Lilla had adapted from "The Stillborn God" for the NYTimes Sunday Magazine insert. As I recall, it didn't get much interest at the time, though I'd still be willing to read "The Stillborn God". And I've still got both Leviathan and Emile in my to-read stack, although, if we're going to read an Enlightenment book as a group -- and given how strongly opinions around BookTalk are indirectly influenced by Enlightenment thought -- we might do better to choose something a little more concise.
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I think I would be interested in reading and discussing The Stillborn God if we settle on it as a future pick. I'm sure sure it meets Chris's "best seller" criteria for being one of the formal picks, but we could certainly do it as an alternative.

George
George Ricker

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

mere atheism: no gods

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”