• In total there are 113 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 113 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Hi!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Trish
Experienced

Hi!

Unread post

After a lengthy search of trying to find a book discussion forum, I'm really happy I found this one! My name is Trish and I'm from Miami, FL. I've made reading a priority for myself in the last 6 months for pleasure as well as a "treatment" for an anxiety disorder. I'm rarely without a book in my bag now, usually 2 at a time. I've tried to read both fiction and non as well as keeping the genres varied. My favorites of which were "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb (900 pages but each one a page-turner) and "I, Elizabeth" by Rosalind Miles (a biography told in the first person perspective of Elizabeth I). I'm currently reading Candide and I just finished Ayn Rand "Anthem". Looking forward to the discussion! :)
jales4
Intern

Unread post

Hi Trish,

Welcome!

I also enjoyed "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb. I haven't tried any of his other books though.

I just spent the afternoon at the nearest city, in the library. It is 1 1/2 drive on winter roads.... but I come home so happy and relaxed!

Looking forward to sharing books with you.

Jan.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello, Trish, and Welcome! :)

I've looked up" This much is true " at amazon, and haven't made up my mind.
The link to Oprah gives more info than amazon, and there is also a video with Wally Lamb discussing his book.

http://www.oprah.com/obc/pastbooks/wall ... out.jhtml

For psychology and non-fiction I always recommend Wanting Everything, by British psychologist and writer Dorothy Rowe.

I hope you will feel like discussing A Thousand Splendid Suns", the discussion is just beginning.

See you later...
Last edited by Ophelia on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ophelia.
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

Thanks for the welcome. I put off "I Know This Much Is True" for a year. It seemed so daunting. I can tell you I wasn't far into it before I was telling anyone who would listen about it. It's about the twin brother of a paranoid schizophrenic and his self-destructive sense of responsibility for his care. What got me really hooked was the complex relationship with the stepfather, Ray, and his abusive methods of imparting life's lessons while the twins are growing up. While my own father was not as extreme as Ray, I could relate very strongly. I was so surprised at how their relationship ultimately unfolds. I think that's what I liked best about the book. There are no small characters. Lamb somehow manages to get you intimately involved with many multi-dimensional characters. It's a marathon of a read, but fortunately the pace of the story is steady throughout. It was one of the best books I've ever read in my life. :D
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Mistake, please ignore
Ophelia.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

I have read "I Know This Much is True" and "She's Come Undone". I liked both but "I Know" was better IMHO. Of course I was a psych major so the subject matter appealed to me a little bit more. I really need to re-read it though because it's probably been 4 or 5 years now.
My wedding day! 08-08-08

Return to “Everything Else”