• In total there are 31 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

suggestion for Non-fiction Book 2008

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

suggestion for Non-fiction Book 2008

Unread post

1- "The wealth and power of nations", (1998) by David S Landes, professor
emeritus at Harvard University.

It's a wealth of information and it is very well written, but I am not sure if the book lends itself to discussion if you are not a historian or an economist.
I would need feedback from one of you about this (once you've read the book.)

2- "Rituals of Blood: consequences of slavery in two American centuries", by Orlando Patterson .
O.Patterson is John Cowles Professor of Sociology at Harvard University.

The author uses sociology and historical analysis, centring his work on black American males.

In my opinion, this is not a rehashing of material that has been covered before. O Patterson is originally from the Cara
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

" Losing the race: self sabotage in black America", by John Macworther, who is a black academic.

I found his book to be thought- provoking. The author challenges many beliefs which are commonly held amongst the people of his race.
I found the author to be broadminded . He writes well, and makes his case convincingly.
Ophelia.
Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

April 1865, The Month that Saved America, by Jay Winik.

This is one of the best history books I ever read. The book is rich with details and imagery that brings the action to life. Also, the characters are truly compelling.

Randy Kadish

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”