• In total there are 49 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

Mummers Parade tomorrow

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Mummers Parade tomorrow

Unread post

The Mummers strut right down Broad Street, just a block from my home tomorrow. I'm looking forward to participating in the festivities. We all know what Mummers are, right?
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Re: Mummers Parade tomorrow

Unread post

irishrosem wrote:The Mummers strut right down Broad Street, just a block from my home tomorrow. I'm looking forward to participating in the festivities. We all know what Mummers are, right?
For those who don't, here's a web site that may be helpful:

http://mummers.com/

Enjoy the parade, Rose. :up:

George
George Ricker

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

mere atheism: no gods
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Now George, tsk tsk, I wanted everyone to do their own research. I was shocked the first time I learned that most the country didn't care about the Mummers. It's such a big deal in Philadelphia, I always assumed it was a nationally televised parade.

This website has a good description of the Mummers' general history, and a FAQ page.

Here are two clips that give you a feel for the Mummers, if you've never been. But seeing the hokiness on screen doesn't compare to the fun of actually being there.

George wrote:Enjoy the parade, Rose.
Thanks, George. There was a rain delay this morning, but the music down the street started up about an hour ago. I'm off to get liquored up before the string bands get started.

Happy New Year, all!
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Wow, that left me totally... confused. When you said Mummers, I assumed Philly had continued some form of the medieval Mummers tradition, complete with hobby horse. Totally unrelated, it seems.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Well actually Mad, Philadelphia's Mummers could have loose roots to medieval mummery. Their origins are a combination of 17th century Irish immigrants

Return to “Everything Else”