• In total there are 81 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 80 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

A Secular Age

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

A Secular Age

Unread post

I'm not suggesting this for an official discussion for two very obvious reasons (it's nearly 900 pages, and it wouldn't get picked even if it were only 90), but take a look at those reviews! This one is definitely on my to-read list: A Secular Age, by Charles Taylor.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: A Secular Age

Unread post

MadArchitect wrote:I'm not suggesting this for an official discussion for two very obvious reasons (it's nearly 900 pages, and it wouldn't get picked even if it were only 90), but take a look at those reviews! This one is definitely on my to-read list: A Secular Age, by Charles Taylor.
Eh...reviews are reviews. I rarely take them too seriously. I prefer to judge on my own. But I can definitly see why you would like this book.
New York Sun : A salutary and sophisticated defense of how life was lived before the daring views of a tiny secular elite inspired mass indifference, and how it might be lived in the future.
--Michael Burleigh
Cleveland PLain Dealer: Its subject is a philosophical history of the past, present and future of Western Christendom. As such, it begins with a deceptively simple question: How did it become possible for anyone to not believe in God?...
Let us know what you think when you get around to it...

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Just because it showed up as "Additional Interest"

Unread post

This book popped up as an "Other Interest" when I was looking at the book Mad posted about. Seemed interesting.

The Stillborn God: Religion, Politics, and the Modern West

Mr. P.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Actually, with regard to "A Secular Age", I was more interested in its account of the rise of secular thought through the Enlightenment and modernity.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

MadArchitect wrote:Actually, with regard to "A Secular Age", I was more interested in its account of the rise of secular thought through the Enlightenment and modernity.
I was busting your balls...I have it on order from the library, BTW. Dont know if I will read the whole thing at this time, but I wanted to look it over for now.

Mr. P.
bradams
No End in Sight

Unread post

Charles Taylor is always a provocative thinker. Have you guys read Sources of the Self or The Ethics of Authenticity? They've both been enormous influences on my thinking.

A Secular Age is definitely on my "to read" list. I'll probably buy a copy eventually (the hardcover is AU$69.95), but for now I'll be looking to the libraries. I'll probably read it after I finish A.C. Grayling's Towards the Light, which will be the book after the one I'm reading now.
bradams
No End in Sight

Unread post

MadArchitect, I just thought I'd point out that, although is long, the books is shorter than the upcoming fiction selection Atlas Shrugged and probably easier to read.
Is there a reason why you think it wouldn't be picked even if it were only 90 pages long?
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Bradams, we've had some difficulty with finishing longer books in the past. I don't think it's a problem with anyone's attention span or intelligence -- it's just harder to coordinate a discussion about a book that long, particularly when you're dealing with people you don't see face to face. On the whole, I've come to believe that the ideal book length for the kind of discussions we have here falls in the range of 150-400 pages. Anything bigger than that and you'll tend to find people starting and finishing to far apart to have much to discuss, people reading a vastly different rates, and people losing interest just as others are starting to get involved. (And, yeah, I kinda think "Atlas Shrugged" is going to lead to the same problems -- maybe even worse since fiction comes with its own discussion difficulties.)

As for the other reason that "A Secular Age" isn't likely to get picked, the fact of the matter is that the author is a theologian, and a lot of long time regulars on this site are atheists who won't go out of their way to read anything written by an author involved in religious thought. Even if Chris okayed "A Secular Age" as a suggestion, I doubt it would garner enough support to make it as a candidate for discussion. Which doesn't matter all that much anyway, since, as I said, I think it's too long to make for a workable discussion on BookTalk.
bradams
No End in Sight

Unread post

Thanks Mad, that all makes sense.
I think I have to defend Charles Taylor against the "charge" of being a theologian! He is a (retired) philosopher who did most of his work in social and political philosophy, but he also happens to be a practicing Catholic. He was also a prominent member of the New Left in his younger days and ran for parliament several times in his native Canada.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”