• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

Will the next US President be a Democrat or Republican?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Democrat

89%
Republican

11%

Total votes: 9
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

All signs point to a Democratic victory (fortunately).

Bush is very unpopular. People disagree with his policies and are disappointed with how many of them, such as the Iraq War, have turned out. Americans rejected the Republicans in the 2006 elections, and they'll do the same in 2008.

In addition, the Republicans have a weak set of potential candidates this year, while the Democrats have some strong contenders. As evidence of that, along with general Democratic sympathies, Democratic voters outnumbered Republican voters 2 to 1 in the Iowa caucuses.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Did you watch tonights Republican debate?
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Assuming we can trust the integrity of the elections themselves, I think the American people will elect a Democrat to the White House in 2008.

Bush's presidency has been a disaster for us and practically everyone else in the world (except the very rich), and there is no one in the field of Republican candidates that inspires much confidence. As long as the Republican Party stays in bed with the Religious Right, I think it will continue to dwindle in influence. Unfortunately for the GOP, they can no longer win with them and they can't win without them.

Of course, I could be wrong about this. Heck, I thought Al Gore would win the 2000 election. ;-)

George
George Ricker

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

mere atheism: no gods
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

I think a Democrat will be elected to office- unless another terrorist attack is unleashed on or near US soil. If that is the case, then I suspect a McCain or Giuliani victory...and a stronger chance that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee. Now, if there is another Katrina type natural disaster (and there very well could be, and will be for the rest of our lives) then I suspect a Democrat will be elected.

An aside, I am thoroughly skeptical of the whole process: entrusting any one person with so much power is not only a recipe for disaster, but placing an impossible burden upon even the very best among us.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Dissident Heart wrote:I think a Democrat will be elected to office- unless another terrorist attack is unleashed on or near US soil. If that is the case, then I suspect a McCain or Giuliani victory...and a stronger chance that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee. Now, if there is another Katrina type natural disaster (and there very well could be, and will be for the rest of our lives) then I suspect a Democrat will be elected.

An aside, I am thoroughly skeptical of the whole process: entrusting any one person with so much power is not only a recipe for disaster, but placing an impossible burden upon even the very best among us.
But...we have a system that balances power no? Oh wait..."Bush", et al, has been eroding those built in protections has'nt he.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.

Return to “Current Events & History”