• In total there are 64 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What sort of fiction do you read?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
pctacitus

Re: What sort of fiction do you read?

Unread post

I read some Sci-Fi (mostly Frank Herbert's books and Card's Ender Series), historical fiction, military novels (like All Quiet on the Western Front, Once An Eagle, etc.) and classical literature like Euripides, et al. ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

I mostly like to read thrillers, classic and modern lit, horror, and chick lit (guilty pleasure) and I guess books that are just considered general fiction. I have read some sci-fi (I enjoy the Star Wars novels)and murder mysteries as well. I tried a couple romance novels but they weren't for me. I also enjoy some childrens books like the Harry Potter and Little House on the Prarie series.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
jales4
Intern

Unread post

The best fiction book I have read this year was Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes. Now that I've read the Lucifer Effect, I think the two should be companion novels.

Nineteen Minutes tells the story of a high school shooting from three perspectives - the popular girl; the jocks; and the school outcast. It is so well done that I was able to emphasize with all three groups, in their life situations.

Having teenage children, it was also a great look into what school society is like nowadays; and a great conversation starter with them. Ie: have you ever seen this happen at your school; is there someone who fits this mold; what do you do when you see a situation like this.

I highly recommend it.
Best known for tackling controversial issues through richly told fictional accounts, Jodi Picoult's 14th novel, Nineteen Minutes, deals with the truth and consequences of a smalltown high-school shooting. Set in Sterling, New Hampshire, Picoult offers reads a glimpse of what would cause a 17-year-old to wake up one day, load his backpack with four guns, and kill nine students and one teacher in the span of nineteen minutes. As with any Picoult novel, the answers are never black and white, and it is her exceptional ability to blur the lines between right and wrong that make this author such a captivating storyteller.
On Peter Houghton's first day of kindergarten, he watched helplessly as an older boy ripped his lunch box out of his hands and threw it out the window. From that day on, his life was a series of humiliations, from having his pants pulled down in the cafeteria, to being called a freak at every turn. But can endless bullying justify murder? As Picoult attempts to answer this question, she shows us all sides of the equation, from the ruthless jock who loses his ability to speak after being shot in the head, to the mother who both blames and pities herself for producing what most would call a monster. Surrounding Peter's story is that of Josie Cornier, a former friend whose acceptance into the popular crowd hangs on a string that makes it impossible for her to reconcile her beliefs with her actions.

At times, Nineteen Minutes can seem tediously stereotypical-- jocks versus nerds, parent versus child, teacher versus student. Part of Picoult's gift is showing us the subtleties of these common dynamics, and the startling effects they often have on the moral landscape. As Peter's mother says at the end of this spellbinding novel, "Everyone would remember Peter for nineteen minutes of his life, but what about the other nine million?"
[/quote] http://www.amazon.com/Nineteen-Minutes- ... 508&sr=8-2
evendeathmaydie
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I read anything fiction!

My favorites are mystery, sci-fi and fantasy, especially fantasy

I like H.G. Wells and H.P. Lovecraft in sci-fi. The scariest Lovecraft I have ever read is The Color From Outer Space.

I like lots of different fantasy (not adult fantasy, which is mainly all about sex, but good, wholesome fantasy with real magic and real truth)
I like anything Edith Nesbit wrote, and I like The Moorchild by Eloise McGraw, besides the obvious Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.

I also love a good mystery. My favorite is anything Agatha Christie wrote, especially Miss Marple books.
For what, though some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
God forbid: yea, let God be true, and every man a liar, as it is written, "That thou mightest be justified in thy words, and overcome, when thou art judged." - Romans 3:3-4

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”