• In total there are 65 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

"His Illegal Self" by Peter Carey

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Marilyn
Getting Comfortable

"His Illegal Self" by Peter Carey

Unread post

Hello everyone,

I seem to be alone out here in this current spat of fiction books that I am reading and find very captivating and worthwhile. Is there anyone out there reading or about to read "His Illegal Self"?

Part mystery, part character study, and part social commentary, the setting is the sixties and involves Harvard student radicals caught up in the SDS and "revolution". The writing is lyrical, understated, precise and mesmerizing--fresh metaporical language suprises in every sentence. The narrative voice--mostly that of a seven year kidnapped boy--is strong and observant as he tries to make sense out of what is going on in the adult world around him.

It is one of those books that you finish and just wish you had someone to share your pleasure with. I highly recommend it to readers of fiction. Author Carey is a two time Booker Prize winner. This book will not disappoint you.

Next on my reading stand is Charles Baxter's "The Soul Theif".

Marilyn

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”