• In total there are 23 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Historical fiction

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Historical fiction

Unread post

Here we are Ralph:

A World Without End, by Ken Follett.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Without-End ... ef=ed_oe_p

I was waiting for the book to be issued in paperback, and that's done now, so I'll buy it.

I know it will take some time and luck for a copy to make its way to Laos, but there are so many other great historical fiction titles to discuss.
Ophelia.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

While Pillars of the Earth was quite good, I probably won't read A World Without End. Follett's last few books were rather disappointing, making me unmotivated to get any more of his books.

One of my favorite novels was Follett's A Dangerous Fortunate, if you haven't read it.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I just checked A Dangerous Fortune, and that's strange, the names of the characters sound familiar, as if I'd read the book, but I can't remember.

Some writers seem to have only really one book in them, and for Follett it's The Pillars of the Earth. When I tried some of his other books it seemed amazing they had been written by the same person.
Actually that's not an unusual phenomenon in historical fiction.
M M Kaye wrote "The Far Pavillions", and every single other book by her I've tried has been a great disappointment.

I'll try A World Without End in case the magic in Follett's case goes with the Middle Ages.
Ophelia.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

I am taking a venture into historical fiction myself right now with The Terror by Dan Simmons. It isn't my usual genre but I was looking for something different and this one looked like it got good reviews and since I like horror, I thought this might be a good one for me. Has anyone else read it?
My wedding day! 08-08-08

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”