• In total there are 19 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

How do you think McCain will do as president?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

How do you think McCain will do as president?

Unread post

It's a done deal in my book, especially if Obama does get the nomination, as looks fairly certain. When the republicans begin pasting Obama as the most liberal member of the senate, he'll become a marginal prospect. He won't be able to move to the center without destroying his credibility. So it's President McCain. Who would've thunk?

He's better than G.W. Bush, anyway (isn't he?) The single most positive thing about his presidency may be that, as a republican, he might be able to do things that his party wouldn't let democrats get away with. Sort of like the Nixon-goes-to-China move.

He's said we'll be in Iraq for 100 years, but when he gets to the White House, I expect him to be much less of a cowboy than GWB. His recent speech on America's role in the world was pretty encouraging, actually.
JohnShadeFan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I thought his recent speech was confusing. He first talks about how he'd like to re-establish international support for our endevours, then he lists a few leaders whom he has problems with and will not work with. Cutting ties with Russia, for example, is a terrible idea, and will lead to all sorts of diplomatic nightmares. As far as McCain making a better leader than Bush, that's true, but I'm pretty sure my cat would make a better leader than Bush.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Thanks guys, you've made my day! :cry:

I actually had quit watching CNN for a while-- I've got to pace myself so I can hold out until the elections. Last time I watched or heard Obama was doing so well, I thought the Republicans were not even running any longer!

Will wrote:
He's better than G.W. Bush, anyway (isn't he?)
Yes, well, one must be thankful for small mercies...

But we'll need more than "better than Bush" to undo the damage done.

John wrote:
then he lists a few leaders whom he has problems with and will not work with
Never mind Russia my dears, whoever wins the US elections will be devoutly loved by Sarkozy.
Ophelia.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

"...whoever wins the US elections will be devoutly loved by Sarkozy."

Interesting, what does that mean, Sarkozy is a sycophant?

McCain is not a shoe-in! Think of the economy, Iraq, U.S. image in the world, a deteriorating Afghanistan, videos of him singing "Bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran!", plus his age. Contrary to your "Nixon-goes-to-China" scenario, the Republicans had control of all branches of Government for much of the last 8 years and did nothing according to the principles that they claim to uphold except for cut taxes. They did not reduce spending, show fiscal discipline, reduce the size of the Government, cut social programs, maintain a balanced budget, have a less adventurous foreign policy, reduce regulation, restrict abortions, dismantle social security, improve education, and on and on... Republicans have a lot to answer for. Also if Obama's liberalism dooms his candidacy, why did Republicans nominate a "moderate" candidate that conservatives call a RINO = Republican In Name Only?

Which isn't to say McCain won't win. All he has to do is portray himself as the fearless warrior running against a spineless wimp who can't wait to surrender to the enemy. The American public will fall for it again.

So how would McCain do? Hard to say. A few years ago I would have said he would be good to work with, in fact I voted for him in the 2000 primary. But McCain has recently became a Bush sycophant, he could be much like Bush once in office. Hate to say it, but his age worries me, McCain has been caught mis-stating basic facts about Iraq, etc.
ralphinlaos

Unread post

John McCain is a mass of contradictions, and the more we get to know him, the less we respect him. And what is it with his wife - is she mute? She gets all dolled up to stand next to him and be completely ignored. At least Michelle Obama makes an occasional assinine statement and God knows, Mrs. Clinton's spouse couldn't be any more front-and-center - or misguided. Has anyone ever seen Mrs. McCain be interviewed or even seen her speak? Does she help his campaign at all?

Incidentally, McCain did not say we'll be in Iraq for 100 years; I heard that speech and he did not say that.

McCain has a terrible temper, believes he is always right (which means that you are always wrong), is too old (not necessarily in years, but certainly in ideas), and believes that he deserves to be President. Delusional, too,

The best thing about a McCain presidency would be it's brevity; hasn't he said he'll serve only one term? Four more years anyone?

Which makes McCain's choice of vice-president so important this year; he (or she) could easily end up as President of the United States, sooner rather than later.

I think Oprah would be a great choice (if you can disentangle her from Obama long enough). A true dream ticket, McCain/Winfrey. Just a dream, I realize; along with the dream in which Myanmar is awarded the Olympic Games next time around. Sigh . . .

Ralph

The mind boggles! Does anyone really believe the Americans will fall for the same old line after eight years of Bush? Haven't we lived and learned in the past eight years? I think we have, but we'll see . . .
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Landroid wrote:
..whoever wins the US elections will be devoutly loved by Sarkozy."

Interesting, what does that mean, Sarkozy is a sycophant?
No, not generally a sycophant at all, he just wants closer political links with the US, regardless of who is in office.
Did anybody hear the speech he made in front of the US Congress?
Of course he did not write it himself, but he could have. I listened, and that's the speech of someone who loves his topic.
He's been dubbed "Sarkozy the American " here.

So he has succeeded in annoying many people in France, who are extremely wary of US foreign politics-- the thing which matters to us.
Ophelia.
JohnShadeFan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

During a New Hampshire town-hall meeting, McCain was asked about Bush commenting that we may be Iraq for another 50 years.

"Maybe 100," McCain replied. "As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed, it's fine with me and I hope it would be fine with you if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where al Qaeda is training, recruiting, equipping and motivating people every single day."

As long as...?

And liberals are supposed to be the unrealistic dreamers?
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

John wrote:
During a New Hampshire town-hall meeting, McCain was asked about Bush commenting that we may be Iraq for another 50 years.

"Maybe 100," McCain replied. "As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed, it's fine with me
The word that comes to my mind is "unabashed".

Where do they find those guys? :roll:
Ophelia.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

[quote="ralphinlaos"]
The best thing about a McCain presidency would be it's brevity; hasn't he said he'll serve only one term? Four more years anyone?

Has he said that? He would be a lame duck after two. John McCain also remarked not too long ago that American was founded as a Christian nation, not a helpful (or true) statement. I continue to hope, though, that this is just pandering and can't get particularly worked up when any politician does it. Admittedly disappointing from the straight-talk guy, however.

My state has a former governor called Mark Warner. He explored running for pres and was touted as a viable, Clinton-type (Bill) unifier. He disbanded his committee when it became clear to him and everyone else that Hillary Clinton had the nomination sewn up. Well, what he said was that he needed to spend more time with his family. He shoulda stayed in.
ABookADay
Master Debater

Unread post

I don't even want to think about it.

Return to “Current Events & History”